SKS Barrel ?

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
rideandslidejim

SKS Barrel ?

Post by rideandslidejim »

Saw an offering for screw in replacement barrels for SKS's . Are all SKS's screw in barrels ? Mine is a Russian .

Thanks !
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
steelbuttplate

Re: SKS Barrel ?

Post by steelbuttplate »

Your Russian barrel is chrome lined and don't need replacing unless someone melted it with 30 rd. mags. I think Norinco's are pinned on, not sure.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
entropy

Post by entropy »

Not all Norinco's are pinned. The early ones were screwed in.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

steelbuttplate wrote:Your Russian barrel is chrome lined and don't need replacing unless someone melted it with 30 rd. mags. I think Norinco's are pinned on, not sure.

Not all Russians have a chrome lined barrel.. chrome lining started late '51-maybe as late as 'mid '52.. So one can find a '50-'52 Russian without a chrome lined barrel, the key factor is was a refurb replacement barrel installed on the early ones sometime later. I have a '50 thats not chrome lined.

"Some" of the later Chinese were pressed/pinned like an Ak, this is totally depending on the factory, a late production factory /26\ and a few other factorys still used threaded barrels. So in later ones, you could find either a pinned barrel or a threaded. Also, China had 2 styles of threaded barrels, a long lug like a Russian/Romanian or other nation and then a short lug threaded barrel, again, that is a Chinese exclusive design. The short lug is what you will find on later Chinese threaded barrel rifles, this method was implemented in the 9 million serial range, right about the time China started with spike bayonets.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.