7.62 x 54r Custom Reloads ?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rideandslidejim

7.62 x 54r Custom Reloads ?

Post by rideandslidejim »

Hello All !!

Has anyone tried custom relaods to minimize the recoil of the 7.62 x 54r cartridge. Getting older, and shoulder ain't what it use to be !!! I have a M38 i would like to take deer hunting this year !

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Fledge

Re: 7.62 x 54r Custom Reloads ?

Post by Fledge »

Haven't tried it yet. I have too much non-reloadable surplus to go through. I am sure someone on here will chime in.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Yep, I have and they shoot very well. My issue is finding brass. Very expensive. I've ended up reloading the Winchester ammo I have collected over the years. I use a 180 gr Sierra spitzer with 44 gr of Varget, or a 150 gr Hot Core with 39 gr of Varget. Both very accurate and easy on the shoulder. These loads shot very well out of carbines too. These are middle of the road loads. So, really, anything in that area will shoot nicely. I started at the minimum powder and added a few grains for starters. I found them so nice that I felt no need to make them any hotter. Shoot well out to 100 yard, the limit of sight...
entropy

Post by entropy »

I made some light rounds using AK bullets and light charges of IMR 3031.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

I made a nice low recoil round I call the OCA ("OSA" Russian for wasp) using 15gr Unique, Hornady .32 cal 60gr XTP (stock number 32010) and a mild crimp, 2.375" OAL. Note, this needs to be full length resized unless you only have one rifle. It will NOT chamber from mag so it's single round only. But a nice, cheap round to reload! Your results may vary but I grouped 3 rounds at 25yda with irons off a plastic rest and they all touched each other.
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

Try some "Mexican Match."

What's that?

OK....so, you got a large amount of corrosive surplus 7.62x54r?

Rrrrright.

Pull the bullet. Dump or retain the powder (your choice). Hint Gun powder is good for your lawn. LOL.....just don't dispose of your cigarettes or lit matches there anymore. Read your re-loading manual and choose a powder and load data for the commercial bullet that you desire. Now, resize the empty case without pulling the primer. Re-powder and seat the bullet that you have chosen. Viola! Mexican Match Ammo.

Note: You'll still have to clean your rifle. Just like you did before (when you shot corrosive surplus ammo).

Aloha, Mark
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

A nice slide-on recoil pad is probably the easiest way to go. I have a Limbsaver that I really like. I can go out and shoot for hours without hurting, and I'm not a very big person.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
jack57000

Post by jack57000 »

it depends of the mosin.... i reload for a 91/30 sniper with 174gr sierra, 200gr lapua for a M39 and 123gr sako for a M28-57...