Rear sights

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Fmarshall

Rear sights

Post by Fmarshall »

Is there a reference to how to use the rear sight?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rear sights

Post by Longcolt44 »

The leaf on the rear sight is not used in the upright position as you show. Use the leaf in the flat position and move the slide to the yardage you want to shoot to. Doing this will raise the sight picture to the correct view. Your sight should look like the attached photo. Hope this is clear to you.
Mosin sights 002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Fmarshall

Post by Fmarshall »

Thanks, that what figured, but why does it open up? Is there any reason? Thanks!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The sights are regulated for mass volley fire. Back in the day they would take a whole bunch of soldiers, and they would instruct them to open the sight and sight for say 2000 yards. That puts the rifle up to about 45 degrees. Then they would all fire at once and a whole bunch of bullets would fall at 2000 yards. It was used before machine guns were wide spread is my understanding.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Fmarshall

Post by Fmarshall »

Hmm!! Wow ok then
japan

Post by japan »

Hello,
I come from Belgium. It's my first post, here.
Can I move out completly the rear sight of mosin nagant (I have a mosin nagant M44), or is it not a good idea ? For example, to put on a mount with scope.?
thank you.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

As we are a preservation forum we frown on any permanent modifications. There are a few mounts that are designed to fit on the rear sight mount but I have never heard of anybody that didn't regret doing it. The caliber of these rifles are too violent for any aftermarket mount to hold a scopes zero. Scopes will not make you a better shooter, you need to be a good shooter to use a scope. Welcome to the forum, be sure to tell us more about the collecting world and laws in your home country of Belgium.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!