New Century AK47

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Jbob

New Century AK47

Post by Jbob »

Anyone else find the butt stock on these rifles way short and with no angle, pitch/ comb to keep from getting your cheek smacked around ?
I had to place a kick pad on making it slightly longer because I couldn't get on the sights wearing ear muffs. I guess there's new stocks out there to make things right but why didn't they change this to start with when using molded plastic ?
I put about 10 shots through it and found it very accurate for open sights. With my ageing eyes I had a 4 inch group at 100 yards.

Just thinking out loud....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Century AK47

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Century builds are like what Forrest Gump's mom said about the box of chocolates, you just never know what you are going to get. It takes serious talent to fuck up an AK47, sounds like they found a way. Lucky for you AK parts are readily available for both milled and stamped receiver AK's . Replace the wood.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

I have a first generation C39 that came with plastic. I replaced the front end with Bulgarian wood, and the buttstock with a NOS Century that I bought online. The rifle fits me like a glove now, looks much better, and is a fantastic shooter.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Century builds are like what Forrest Gump's mom said about the box of chocolates, you just never know what you are going to get. It takes serious talent to fuck up an AK47, sounds like they found a way. Lucky for you AK parts are readily available for both milled and stamped receiver AK's . Replace the wood.
Yes, the "gunsmiths" at Century are quite creative.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Monkey making gun.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I have one of their WASR 10/63's. Fantastic rifle, no canted sights, but some idiot welded the gas piston to the carrier instead of pinning it. I have a new gas piston but still looking for the carrier, everyone wants to sell the entire assembly not a stripped carrier.

I had to go to an adjustable stock, seems that none of the Commies were over 6'4" with long arms.
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

A friend loaned me the new rifle over the weekend telling me the sights were hard to see because of the stock but wanted me to try it out anyway.
I've never owned a AK before and like an SKS always thought they were a pretty crude rifle. I was pretty amazed that right out of the box it could out shoot my new S&W AR 15. I'll have one of some type a little later on, are you guys saying stay away for Century rifles or all types of AK 47's ?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Some of us have experience with Century builds of the past, we know they are a crapshoot. AK-47's are crude, some of them look it also. I remember the Egyptian Maddi's and Chinese models that were around 30 years ago, tool marks, nasty wood, but they still shot. The Bulgarian Arsenal SLR95 on the other hand is a work of art. You look at it and wonder why in hell they wasted such effort on just an AK when less would have been more that adequate.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

We can't get rid of those things(C39v2) at my work. We will have a Wasr or npap come in and it flies off shelf. Hell, even our vz2008 went quick but we still have 40 of these things lined up on our shelves collecting dust. An enlarged mag release, no cleaning rod, weird "custom" muzzle device, bad stock angle, and no bayonet mount all highly detract from them. Retail is $799 which is more than Yugo's and wasr's. The RAS is just a tad better but it still doesn't move.
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
pongo

Post by pongo »

Jbob wrote:A friend loaned me the new rifle over the weekend telling me the sights were hard to see because of the stock but wanted me to try it out anyway.
I've never owned a AK before and like an SKS always thought they were a pretty crude rifle. I was pretty amazed that right out of the box it could out shoot my new S&W AR 15. I'll have one of some type a little later on, are you guys saying stay away for Century rifles or all types of AK 47's ?

If you are curious about Century built vs Century imported rifles, check out Rob Ski"s Ak Operators Union Local,47-74 on Youtube. Key idea is generally USA made Ak rifles have cast trunnions and other parts vs forged Com-Block parts.
pongo

Post by pongo »

Newest Ak Operators Union Local,47-74 on C39V2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztAS7QT_e4
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Beware of US made AK's. Spend your money on a used SAR or something similar. You only have one face.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Jbob wrote:A friend loaned me the new rifle over the weekend telling me the sights were hard to see because of the stock but wanted me to try it out anyway.
Are those things all accurate as a good SKS? All my SKS, except the Norinco I used to have, are good to excellent in the accuracy dept.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
dou44

Post by dou44 »

I bought one of the mak 90's that came in in the early 90's and have not looked back.it had the slant break and non thumb hole stock. shoots like a dream.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

if you are getting a decent cheek weld use a pad.
Something as simple as a piece of foam pipe insulation under a cut off sock (surprisingly comfortable) or a commercial cheek rest. I got tired of the punched in the face feeling from the 7.62 x 39 and the 7.62 x 51.The more comfortable you feel the better you shoot.
We have met the enemy and he is us.