1939 Tula SA

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SAMMO

1939 Tula SA

Post by SAMMO »

Have one with matching bolt original ser# and has an SA in box on left side of chamber. Has original stock and different mag number. Trying to get a SD card that works and will post a pic later. Has screws in strap slots and metal hangers with screws to retain them in the strap hangers. Looks like a capture with no mods? Brass caps on the top piece. Stock has the Tula star and date on the bottom of the star 1939 and also a diamond with an H in the middle. Please help me with information and I have another if I can find out about this one. Thank you
steelbuttplate

Re: 1939 Tula SA

Post by steelbuttplate »

Are you sure it's not a two piece stock? Some are hard to see with dark finish. That should be an excellent shooter, I've had 5 39 Tula's all VG shooters. With it being a Finn, They may have just stamped it and left it alone.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SAMMO

Post by SAMMO »

Yes is a single piece stock and has the brass Esche touches with the screws all lined up and the wire hangers for a strap. Has a lightly scratched by hand double lined not deep "TC" on the right side with the star and 1939 under it and two round cartouches which I cannot make out. The wood is yellowish underneath and is dark finished like pine tar sticky if you get a dab of Hoppes on it. The butt plate is remarked with original ser # and the replacement marked out lined through. All worn, battle used look with no re-furbish and the bore is sharp and shoots all 50 cent piece at 25 yds in a piece of tin from a rest and Tula ammo. Had a dab of the sticky bolt but no deal, a little dab of polish and wiped on some good grease and slick lifter.
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

Let's see some pictures of her.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
SAMMO

Post by SAMMO »

A few I resized down thankyou.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SAMMO

Post by SAMMO »

A few more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SAMMO

Post by SAMMO »

Good bore and clean inspected chamber. I shot three rounds in my 41 brass cases and they will not lock in my 39 chamber but my 39's will lock in the 41.
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

:vcool: :vcool:
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
SAMMO

Post by SAMMO »

Think it is a purchase from the Germans or a capture with nothing done to it? Can you tell anything from the markings to indicate where the rifle has been etc.? I went in the jeep yesterday and with my stigmatism and glasses I can see the front sights on my unaltered Mosins and bust rocks the size of baseballs and up every time at 75-100. I sit there like I did in my PPC years and stage the trigger till it surprises breaks and the recoil on the Mosin is not even 30-30 with all the 8 or so pounds. I could have AR's, I do, lol and I could have fancy rifles but they do not give me deluxe fun like these 48 inch guns,
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Don't put any kind of grease on your bolt. A drop of gun oil is plenty. You may have to do some digging and clean crap out of the lugs inside the chamber. :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SAMMO wrote:Good bore and clean inspected chamber. I shot three rounds in my 41 brass cases and they will not lock in my 39 chamber but my 39's will lock in the 41.
Mr. Dolk are you able to translate this language?
SAMMO

Post by SAMMO »

The Chamber clean and free of any visible rust or crud etc. The throat looks sharp and the riflings are used but shiny and no pits. No counterbore. I am wondering how common these are?
SAMMO

Post by SAMMO »

SO NO ONE knows anything about my gun here?
SAMMO

Post by SAMMO »

OK just please delete this thread thank you Admin.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It is more than just a little presumptuous to suspect you can come here, ask unanswerable questions, and get piqued when you don't get an instant answer. Nobody knows the history of this particular rifle, any answer would be guesswork. There is a lot of very good informatin available online that you could mine if you aren't happy with the answers you get here, but it will take a little work.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SAMMO

Post by SAMMO »

Not mad, not upset, very surprised that no one knows anything about the Rifle. I came here because I figured you were experts and collectors and would know. I will search elsewhere and can tell you that I would like the thread deleted simply because it serves no purpose. Thank you
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It is a Finnish capture 1939 Tula. It is a very nice rifle. I would like to have one like it. What else do you want to know? We could make some shit up.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Given the date I would make a wild guess that it could be a Winter War capture, but that is pure conjecture. It is what it is. A 1939 Tula Finnish capture. Also "Finnish Capture" is just a name that we call them. We really should call them "Finnish Acquired".
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

millman wrote:It is a Finnish capture 1939 Tula. It is a very nice rifle. I would like to have one like it. What else do you want to know? We could make some shit up.
:pointup: +1 :chuckles:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

SAMMO wrote:Good bore and clean inspected chamber. I shot three rounds in my 41 brass cases and they will not lock in my 39 chamber but my 39's will lock in the 41.
If I am understanding you correctly you may have headspace issues, have you checked the headspace?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!