Loading a Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jfrink23

Loading a Mosin

Post by jfrink23 »

Hello, all!
I was just curious can you load a Mosin Nagant without having a round in the chamber? If so how?
Lotema

Re: Loading a Mosin

Post by Lotema »

Do you mean have 5 in the magazine and have the bolt closed? If so, you might be able to. There might be enough remaining spring travel to push the top round down and close the bolt over it without it feeding into the chamber. Once the bolt head clears the rim, you should be able to let off the pressure and just finish closing the bolt.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

Yes either that or 4! I want to be able to keep my magazine loaded and just not have one in the chamber so I don't have to mess with the safety on it
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

You will have to use four. Unless it will load 5 from the magazine bottom.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Buy a pistol. So much better for home defense.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Don't know why you would want to do this. The only time I have live rounds loaded is at the range. Otherwise, it's unloaded. I suppose if you were hunting, this would be a viable option. In that case, load 4 and push the rounds down in the magazine to close the bolt, leaving an empty chamber. Never tried 5 + 1 before...
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

Hey, I just like to be prepared haha! and I have a few pistols I usually have my Glock 43 on the night stand or Kimber 1911 with a 10 Round magazine lol and for just in case my tactical 12 gauge is just a few steps away in my safe!
entropy

Post by entropy »

If you can load five in the mag and sill depress it enough to close, you need to replace the two springs in the mag. For hunting, stick to four.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

jfrink23 wrote:Hey, I just like to be prepared haha! and I have a few pistols I usually have my Glock 43 on the night stand or Kimber 1911 with a 10 Round magazine lol and for just in case my tactical 12 gauge is just a few steps away in my safe!
Well I sure hope the perp who breaks in gives you time to access your safe.
Jon
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

It's easy access and I always have a gun in arms reach on the night stand along with a flashlight lol no robber can argue with my .45 1911 ;) haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Ever since I broke the magazine follower spring on mine simply by inserting a 5-round stripper clip, I've been paranoid about compressing the new replacement spring more than I absolutely have to. Removing the magazine floor plate for cleaning is a traumatic experience now.

With that in mind, I don't like the idea of compressing that spring even more to close the bolt with five rounds in the magazine. I also don't like the idea of the spring remaining in a compressed state for days, weeks, and months on end. I'm somebody who stores my rifle bolt open and decocked to take the tension off the interrupter-ejector spring and firing pin spring. These springs are 70+ years old and just looking for an excuse to weaken/break.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
entropy

Post by entropy »

Oh boy, springs again. BTDT. Springs do not wear out or 'take a set' from continued compression. They wear out from use, up & down, etc., ad nauseum. They can be wrecked by over compression, or overextension. A friend of mine found a 1911 stuck behind a drawer in a dresser inside a house he was gutting, and it was still loaded, full mag, one in the chamber, hammer down. It had been there since the mid Twenties, as the newspaper it was wrapped in was from 1925. It fired just fine, and continued to do so until he sold it.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

entropy wrote:Oh boy, springs again. BTDT. Springs do not wear out or 'take a set' from continued compression. They wear out from use, up & down, etc., ad nauseum. They can be wrecked by over compression, or overextension.
+1 :pointup:

Not possible to destroy a spring just leaving under "normal" compression.

Most of these refurbished Mosins that have come in lately have had their firing springs under compression for years now. NO PROBLEM.