First time shooting

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jfrink23

First time shooting

Post by jfrink23 »

I bought my first Mosin a few weeks ago and I am finally going to get to shoot it the first time, was finally able to track down some ammo, any tips? I've shot my buddies Mosin before but mine just came out of the barrel of cosmoline haha! I also picked up 3 boxes of TulAmmo from my local gun shop is that stuff decent for just plinking? Any issues with this ammo? I am very excited to shoot my first Mosin and I want to do it right! lol
TnBuckeye

Re: First time shooting

Post by TnBuckeye »

I've shot a fair amount of Tula like you have and haven't had safety issues. I don't think it is very consistent though and prefer the PPU brass stuff personally. But I would say the Tula will certainly get you going in terms of plinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

Ok awesome thank you!!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Make sure you have thoroughly cleaned the inside chamber, especially where the lugs lock in or you will be asking how to fix a sticky bolt. Start at 50 yrs. w/ a 6 o'clock aim :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

I totally disassembled it when I got it and spent about 3 hours cleaning it, so I am hoping she's all Cosmo free! and thanks for the tips I wasn't sure what Yds to start at, is it true that they were zeroed in with the bayo on it??
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Yes they were sighted with the bayonet on. Your best bet is to start on a 25 yard range, (no bayonet), to get used to the recoil and how the trigger likes to be pulled. Do your self a favor and skip shooting over 50 yards until you feel "ONE" with your rifle.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Mine does not like Tulammo. The bolt is hard to open after firing a round. I have to actually slap the bolt open. It's perfectly fine with anything else.

Accuracy wasn't bad. I was doing about 3 MOA at 100 meters ignoring the flier of each group.

I second what people have said about them being zeroed with bayonet. Mine shoots about 8 inches right at 100 meters without its bayonet.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You checked the headspace and it passed the No/Go gauge?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Longcolt44 wrote:Yes they were sighted with the bayonet on. Your best bet is to start on a 25 yard range, (no bayonet), to get used to the recoil and how the trigger likes to be pulled. Do your self a favor and skip shooting over 50 yards until you feel "ONE" with your rifle.
I think this, and JYDs point about passing GO/NO GO is really good advice, if not downright mandatory.

I am no great marksman, but I take this short range approach with mine first, often on multiple range trips, to really try to get a solid feel for all the mechanics of whatever model I am working with, get my sights adjusted, etc.

I didn't always do this, but it really helps me anyway. Plus, I figure if I can get all my shots at 25 yds into a 2 inch or smaller circle, or touching, then I am ok to move the target back some and graduate to big boy distances!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I have shot my buddies Mosin put about 20 rounds through it and his was all set up no issues so I know what I can compare mine to make sure it is set up well, how can I check the headspace? I don't have a gauge or anything like that, is there away I can do it without one or should I get one? If so how much are they? I am used to shooting my 12 gauge with 3" slugs and my buddy said that is nothing compared to shooting a Mosin and from what I remember the recoil isn't like terrible, its there but not so bad. I believe I have a picture of the bore and rifling if I have one and post it on here can you tell me what you think? I am not used to having to check that I have always but new guns besides my Glock but I knew the person only put about 50 rounds through it.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Yes you should check the headspace. Gauges can be purchased from our advertiser OKIE HEADSPACE GAUGES, just click on their banner at the top of the page.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
entropy

Post by entropy »

You will want to get one, this won't be your only Mosin........
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Most of my Mosins shoot high, so keep that in mind if you don't make any holes where you are aiming.
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

This is NOT a battle sight zero.

Choose a day when you don''t have much wind. Have a bench with sand bags available. Print up some targets. Anything with a 6 inch black center circle is good enough. I use a reduced hi-power rifle target (200 yd sight picture for 100 yd shooting) or a pistol target (25 yd) with the big black center. Set the target out at 25 yds. Set your rear rifle sight at the 100 meters mark. Now, using a 6 o'clock hold.....shoot a group. If you're good, a three shot group should/will do.

My group with standard Russian (or Bulgarian) surplus light ball ammo printed about 1 or 2 inches above the point of aim. Your group may be off to the right or left. BTW.....I don't shoot for groups with the bayonet mounted. The range staff doesn't think it's very funny.

OK....now, it's time to adjust the frt sight. You brought your brass punch and a hammer to the range, right?

The frt sight moves towards the impact group/area. So, if it's groupong to the right, the frt sight will have to move to the right. Using your hammer and punch, tap the front sight. Move it slowly and carefully. Shoot it again for another group. Keep adjusting the frt sight (right or left).....until, the group is on the center line of the target.

Then, adjust the rear sight. Move/slide the rear sight in the direction that you want the bullet strikes to move (it's the OPPOSITE of moving a front sight). So, moving the rear sight up will move the bullet impacts up.

My eye sight ain't what it used to be, even a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yds is not easy for me. I'm happy to slide my my rear sight to the 400 or 500 meter mark (even though the target is only 25 yds away) and punch away. To me, if you get a 1 inch group, that's impressive. Hey, it's a surplus rifle with surplus ammo.....just be happy.

Take your target out to 100 yds. if you wish. Adjust as needed and it's a good idea to write down your sight settings.

Aloha, Mark
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

jfrink23 wrote:mine just came out of the barrel of cosmoline haha! I am very excited to shoot my first Mosin and I want to do it right! lol
Then my suggestion is to give it a very good cleaning first. Then check headspace & such as others mentioned previously.

Congrats, enjoy & be safe! :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

ma96782 has the sight adjustment bass-ackwards. Front sight is moved OPPOSITE the direction you want the group to move. The rear sight is moved in the direction you want the group to move.
Jon
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

musketjon wrote:ma96782 has the sight adjustment bass-ackwards. Front sight is moved OPPOSITE the direction you want the group to move. The rear sight is moved in the direction you want the group to move.
Jon
You are both saying the same thing essentially. He said move the front sight toward the grouping. If it were shooting right, then you move the front sight to the right, toward the group, and the result is the group moves left. You guys are just describing the same action 2 different ways.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

Indeed, you are correct Sir. I was in a hurry when I read it and it didn't register properly. Now that I have reread it, it makes sense.
Jon
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

Then.....

OK, Ok, ok....I took my Mosin Nagant 91/30 out today and did some close in shooting.

Surplus 1947 ammo from factory 188, 7.62 x 54r, 147 grain, Light Ball ammo (no painted tips)......using a 6 o’clock hold. My target was a reduced hi-power target. The sight picture is that of a 200 yds bull's eye but placed at 100 yards. Remember....this is NOT a battle sight zero.

25 yards = set rear sight to 450 meters
50 yards = set rear sight to 200 meters
100 yds = set rear sight to 100 meters

I got my groups "in the black." Now, I'll just need to tighten them up. Less than 1" at 25 yds. But, about 4.5" at 100 yds. Actually, I felt that was GTG for me and my old eyes.

Aloha, Mark
Last edited by ma96782 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

For those that are looking for FREE downloadable reduced target centers (for practice), try here.........

http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

Look about a little more than half way down the page. SR-1, SR-21c and MR-31c targets.

Aloha, Mark