What the heck is a matter with me?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zeebill

Re: What the heck is a matter with me?

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Ah, hasn't done it yet, like some people I know who buy all sorts of exercise equipment and never use it. Hey, at least running around in the heat humping 80 pounds of gear in a reenactment is a more fun way to have a heart attack than running on a treadmill.
I have 6 jeeps at my disposal with offers of rides so who is humping anything around or even thinking about it? You don't think I would go into this without any plans ahead do you JYD? Besides we have to get stuff on Gunbroker for awhile here to pay for house projects at the widows place before it falls down or anything. Just got a roof on my place too. Now to get some trees taken down so I don't lose my investment. Man its endless isn't it? Bill :lol:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Bill I have seen this before and I don't want to have to be the one to tell you, but it sounds like a classic midlife crisis! The good news is you will live to be 158 years old. [emoji14]
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zeebill wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Ah, hasn't done it yet, like some people I know who buy all sorts of exercise equipment and never use it. Hey, at least running around in the heat humping 80 pounds of gear in a reenactment is a more fun way to have a heart attack than running on a treadmill.
I have 6 jeeps at my disposal with offers of rides so who is humping anything around or even thinking about it? You don't think I would go into this without any plans ahead do you JYD? Besides we have to get stuff on Gunbroker for awhile here to pay for house projects at the widows place before it falls down or anything. Just got a roof on my place too. Now to get some trees taken down so I don't lose my investment. Man its endless isn't it? Bill :lol:
Oh no, none of that riding around in Jeeps, that's not how it was done. The Old Man here, now 91, saw France, Germany and Austria on foot most of the time, he didn't get a jeep ride until he was stateside in '46 transporting Jeeps from one army base to another for storage. To do it properly you have to not take a shower or shave for several weeks, eat spam three meals a day, and do it in winter so your 20 mile hike allows you to discover the joys of WW2 army shoepacks while you slog through the half frozen mud and slush. If your going to portray GI Joe then you have to do it right :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Bill I have to agree with JYD on this one. You want to ride in the jeep you need to dump the basic infantry soldier gear and get yourself some stars.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Since you and I are the same age I have a solution for you Bill. Strap a an old film type camera around your neck, carry an old portable typewriter, stick a, "Reporter", tag on your helmet and ride in or on any Jeep or 1/2 track you can climb in to.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can pretend to be Frank Capra, he made the Why We fight movies among others for the Army, and slogged around Europe with his own film crew and jeep.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The group I am going with is made up of reporters but the need a liaison infantry NCO to work with! I ain't Ernie Pyle but I can fake a reporter liaison NCO pretty effectively, Just a mangy old lifer buck Sargent hanging on till the end of the war! heh heh! Bill
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

zeebill wrote:The group I am going with is made up of reporters but the need a liaison infantry NCO to work with! I ain't Ernie Pyle but I can fake a reporter liaison NCO pretty effectively, Just a mangy old lifer buck Sargent hanging on till the end of the war! heh heh! Bill
:chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

That works too Bill

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

zeebill wrote:The group I am going with is made up of reporters but the need a liaison infantry NCO to work with! I ain't Ernie Pyle but I can fake a reporter liaison NCO pretty effectively, Just a mangy old lifer buck Sargent hanging on till the end of the war! heh heh! Bill
The only trouble is the war never ends and we just keep getting older, and mangier.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You could always pin on some bars and hang around in the headquarters tent looking important with the other REMF's, you could probably even pull off a nap there. Officer rank would also explain the age thing, thanks to sluggish pre war promotions there were lots of 50+ year old LT's hanging around waiting for some fossil up the chain to drop dead so they could move forward . I have heard of 40 somethings who joined and became GI Joes, but 70 something would be senior officer territory, just ask Joseph Fighting Joe Wheeler, he was 61 and a former CSA cavalry General when he was tapped to lead US troops into Cuba in 1898, and older yet when he led US troops in the Philippian insurrection.
Theodore Roosevelt