Legitimate markings on this k98?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Joekopec1

Legitimate markings on this k98?

Post by Joekopec1 »

Seller said i can share the pictures. Very fairly priced Seems a tad to good to be true so I figured I would share it here. I don't want to get to excited and make any decisions to quickly. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA1911a1

Re: Legitimate markings on this k98?

Post by SA1911a1 »

Ask about the importer.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The very first thing that springs into my mind seeing that is Mitchells Mauser's, the biggest humper of K98 type Mauser's in history. They did love their SS stamp. I would buy it for a couple of hundred bucks just to have a spare Mauser shooter to hand out to one of my less skilled pistol shooter friends at range days, but no way would I pay real money for that. The seller has no provenance for the rifle? Bringhome papers, pictures of grandpa with the rifle in 1960, clear tracable history? No, of course not, someplace there is a paper from Mitchells Mauser's .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Joekopec1

Post by Joekopec1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The very first thing that springs into my mind seeing that is Mitchells Mauser's, the biggest humper of K98 type Mauser's in history. They did love their SS stamp. I would buy it for a couple of hundred bucks just to have a spare Mauser shooter to hand out to one of my less skilled pistol shooter friends at range days, but no way would I pay real money for that. The seller has no provenance for the rifle? Bringhome papers, pictures of grandpa with the rifle in 1960, clear tracable history? No, of course not, someplace there is a paper from Mitchells Mauser's .
He's asking $400 so not bad, just a really far drive (opposite end of the state). I want the real thing, I'd even go for a captured rifle. Seems like with the way prices are going I should just grab a yugo
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It really looks straight out of Mitchel's catalog. That is why I asked about the import marks.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Joekopec1

Post by Joekopec1 »

SA1911a1 wrote:It really looks straight out of Mitchel's catalog. That is why I asked about the import marks.
Yeah, he said he bought it from a lady who's husband passed away and that's as much info he knows.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Russian capture so almost certain its a mitchells. I would offer 300 and then use it for trade up or sell for better example.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Pass on it, spend a little more for a real Mauser.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

I think I see the Russian capture X on the left side of the receiver, Mitchell's liked to take the Russian X and make an asterisk out of it then claiming it's a German acceptance mark. Never the less this one has hump job written all over it. I wouldn't drive five feet to buy it at $400.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

The rune on the floorplate looks like it was put on yesterday
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

If you want to get into K98s buy a few books like the Steves/Karem books and Backbone of the Wehrmacht
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cj556 wrote:The rune on the floorplate looks like it was put on yesterday
It was.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Cj556 wrote:The rune on the floorplate looks like it was put on yesterday
It was.
:chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I don't know. It looks like it was found in a secret vault in East Europe somewhere. The absolute last of it's kind.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

If you want something a little more authentic, save a few more dollars and pass on this one. I'm not sure what the seller is asking, but you can find decent rifles in the 500-600 range if you look hard enough. You might find them for a little less, but it seems that prices have jumped a bit since Classic offered and sold $400 rifles for $900+.
Mosin Fanboy
target

Post by target »

Big old fake. Like the others have said. If you can get it for like 250ish then sure. It's a Mauser it's worth that in parts alone.
M39 Shooter

Post by M39 Shooter »

Is it safe to assume that Mickeys Mousers doesn`t run afoul of the law because they leave the receiver S/N alone? Unlike our "friend" with the Polish rifle.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

M39 Shooter wrote:Is it safe to assume that Mickeys Mousers doesn`t run afoul of the law because they leave the receiver S/N alone? Unlike our "friend" with the Polish rifle.
Generally, yes. Despite the fake markings chicanery, Mitchell was a legitimate importer. They stayed within the letter of the law. Note that staying within the letter of the law does not necessarily equate to being ethical.
entropy

Post by entropy »

millman wrote:I don't know. It looks like it was found in a secret vault in East Europe somewhere. The absolute last of it's kind.
:lol: :chuckles: :lol: :chuckles:

Mitchell's. :facepalm2:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Well, it would make a nice shooter if nothing else. I saw a Russian capture in a nearby Canadian Tire the other day for nearly $1000 CDN. I am not defending fakes or humped rifles in any way, shape, or form, so hold the flame throwers.

We have a guy who sells at a lot of shows around the area. Some of his guns are...well, shall we say not quite true? He got booted from the Calgary Easter weekend show for misrepresenting a rifle. That show is Canada's biggest, so that must have been a bad deal. Serves him right.
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler