ELBY front sight tool arrives

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Sgt. Rob

ELBY front sight tool arrives

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Ordered an Elby Front Sight Tool, gunsmith version, about a week and a half ago. It arrived in the mail yesterday. The sight was well packaged in a padded envelope and appears professionally made. It comes with a nice instruction sheet as well.

After reading the directions, I decided to try her out on my 1944 Tula, as I know she is shooting to the right. The directions call for tapping the sight to loosen it first with a brass punch. Figuring that if I had any real resistance I would go that route, I decided to test it first. The screw uses a 5/32" hex key, so I will buy another to dedicate to the sight tool, but used my work bench one for today. The tool is very easy to slide onto the rifles muzzle, and moving the front sight proved to be very smooth. Turning the screw took no real effort to slide over the front sight on this particular rifle. So I did not need to revert to tapping it with a brass hammer.

I am very happy with this tool and want to thank Elby for providing us with it. This makes windage adjustment easy and much more precise then drifting with a hammer and brass punch. I give it my best reccomendation and urge others to help support our sponser! :toast:

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
dou44

Re: ELBY front sight tool arrives

Post by dou44 »

great review and i liked the pictures.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Great pics.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

Got mine in a few weeks ago, and got my package from Josh on Friday, which makes the full trifecta. Can't wait to put 'em to work and hopefully make a range trip next week. :biggrin:
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Excellant right up and pictures. :clap: :clap:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I already have plans to pick one up soon :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I'm waiting to win the photo contest to get one. :D :D
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Great pictures! Told you you would like it Sgt. Rob.

There is nothing I can think of to improve that site tool. Everyone that has mosin(s) should get one. Them being a site sponsor is a bonus as well.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:I'm waiting to win the photo contest to get one. :D :D
Don't be cheap... Buy one, you will love it. :D
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Well if by chance I don't win I will. :D :thumbsup: I think we are all cheap on here. :lol:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I like to consider myself to be "frugal", although I'm sure the wife and kids might disagree after the third time we "eat out" off the dollar menu... :brolleyes:

Sure glad you like it, I'm sure you'll be running up and down the range looking for Mosin's to adjust!
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

mogunner wrote: Sure glad you like it, I'm sure you'll be running up and down the range looking for Mosin's to adjust!
Can't do that! I want them to sell'em to me cheap when they can't get them to hit anything!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Sgt. Rob wrote:
mogunner wrote: Sure glad you like it, I'm sure you'll be running up and down the range looking for Mosin's to adjust!
Can't do that! I want them to sell'em to me cheap when they can't get them to hit anything!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Semper Fi, Rob
"Adjust" their sites before they shoot and when they are not looking, and you might get better deal on them crappy shootin' surplus rifles.... :shock: :shock: :D
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Or charge them ten bucks to set their sights, won't take long to fund another Mosin at that rate.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Very nice Rob, it looks like a excellent tool. Am I correct that you bought the heavy duty model? It looks like it has a steel insert for the forcing screw. You took great pictures. I need to order one too.
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

bunkysdad wrote:Very nice Rob, it looks like a excellent tool. Am I correct that you bought the heavy duty model? It looks like it has a steel insert for the forcing screw. You took great pictures. I need to order one too.
Thank You bunkysdad, it is the heavy duty model, or what Elby calls the "gunsmith" version. As I will probably put this to alot of work for the rest of my life I figured I need it. It does have a steel insert for the forcing screw as well.

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I think that is the one I want also, well worth the extra I think. As a mechanic, I am kind of a tool junkie anyhow. :P
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Don't get me wrong I like mine but when I got my mojo aperture sight and installed it the tool marred up one side of the sight maybe it was user error i'm not sure. It was well worth the money though. Cheers!
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Try using a small cloth cleaning patch between the screw and the sight. Mine scratched a little, but as my rifles are "working" rifles, I am not really concerned, however I could see where one would want to protect the finish on a very collectable Mosin.

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I had considered enclosing a small strip of brass shim stock with the tools in case of a sight that was a bit "tight" but hadn't run into the problem on any of my Mosins so decided not to, thought that more directions might confuse some people. :biggrin: