1907 Sling on a 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
musketjon

1907 Sling on a 91/30

Post by musketjon »

Has any one ever tried using an M1907 sling on their 91/30 MN for position shooting, specifically prone? Do the dog collars give it too much "stretch"? I have a 600 yard match coming up and I am going to use one of my 91/30's and it's a prone match.
Thanks all.
Jon
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1907 Sling on a 91/30

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I would use the 1907 on anything it will fit on. They don't fit Mosins all that well, and the collars design gives them more stretch than I like. I had one on one of the Finn M91's with the rough sling rings that are just thick metal wire bent into the slots. That type of ring was wide enough, but not found on most Mosins. 24/47 Mauser, Turk Mauser's, SAFN 49, and others, the 07 is the best shooting sling there is, it's not just a strap for carrying the rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

JYD,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know about the '07 sling being more than a carry strap. I've used one for 40 years in high power competition with the M1 and 03-A3, just never on the MN.
I'll let you know how I fare. The match isn't for another 4 weeks so it'll be a while 'til I give you the results.
Thanks again.
Jon
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I just tried a 1907 sling on an m91 with finnish sling attachments, and the sling will not fit through the wire loops. Here is a pic of the sling attachments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

There's a photo floating around on the net of a Finnish soldier with a 1907 sling on his mosin during the continuation war. Not sure what hangers he was using though.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, the sling will only fit some of the primitive bent wire hangers, not the nicer properly made sling adapters. Question is were did a Finnish soldier during the continuation war get a US M1907 sling? Our troops involved in the North Russia business back in '19 were issued Mosin M91's with Russian slings so they didn't get 1907's that way. Easy enough to make I suppose, the pattern was well known by the 1940's and Finland had both leather and people to work it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Here is the photo. Look at the guy on the left.

On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

RG,
Thanks for the pics. That is clearly an M1907 sling and the dog collar--at least the bottom one any way--is clearly visable. I guess the only way to know for sure is to just try it and see. I'll let you know how she fares.
Thanks for all the replies.
Jon