Sako M39 straight stock "2"

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jack57000

Sako M39 straight stock "2"

Post by jack57000 »

Hi

for your attention a Sako m39 straight stock with the tag "2".

there is not a lot of info on this strange mark, if someone has some do not hesitate to post

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Sako M39 straight stock "2"

Post by Darryl »

No one knows what the "2" is for. For many years the "rumor" was it meant it did not make "the grade" for accuracy and moved to 2 status. But that has zero proof behind it and was "made up" many years ago. Fact is, we have no ideal what it means. Sort of like MO and many other marks.

Beautiful rifle and another "straight stock" in the high range. We seem to have blown the theory that the serial number had to be below a certain number to be correct. Even Vic agreed with my study on that and something else was going on there.

Beautiful rifle! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Dolk
Gustro79

Re: RE: Re: Sako M39 straight stock "2"

Post by Gustro79 »

dolk wrote:No one knows what the "2" is for. For many years the "rumor" was it meant it did not make "the grade" for accuracy and moved to 2 status. But that has zero proof behind it and was "made up" many years ago. Fact is, we have no ideal what it means. Sort of like MO and many other marks.

Beautiful rifle and another "straight stock" in the high range. We seem to have blown the theory that the serial number had to be below a certain number to be correct. Even Vic agreed with my study on that and something else was going on there.

Beautiful rifle! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Dolk
Yes, in my opinion the "accuracy" theory was blown apart a few years ago when it was discovered that 1000 consecutive serial #s at a time will have the 2 stamp.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
qz2026

Re: Sako M39 straight stock "2"

Post by qz2026 »

I've got a Sako with the same markings on the butt stock and shank. Bottom line is that no one has a clue what the "2" means. Mine isn't in a straight stock though. Wanna trade? :lol: