.303 Manlicher

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
steelbuttplate

.303 Manlicher

Post by steelbuttplate »

Somebody that has a Manlicher short rifle in .303, tell me what you think of it. And why is that hole in the bottom of the Mag.?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: .303 Manlicher

Post by Longcolt44 »

If you are speaking of the Mannlicher M95 Austro-Hungary Infantry Rifle or Carbine they are not in .303. The rifles were in 11X558r and when cut down to carbines are in 8X6r. The hole in the bottom of the mag well is for the enbloc clip to drop free after shooting the last of five rounds.
Ausrtian M95 enbloc clip 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
target

Post by target »

He is probably talking about the Dutch Mannlicher in .303 British not the Styer M95. Doesn't help that these Dutch rifles were also called M95s.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

It's being called a Indonesian Manlicher in .303. I'lL have to go back and look at it again but I think it has .303 stamped. ??.................. It's a 7.7 conversion with some markings ground out, It's a nice looking rifle,rubber butt pad just like a Mk V, I think I'll pass. :shifty:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Some are rough. The 7.7 is the .303. Depends on the price. A lot have poor chamberings and produce double shoulder brass. These were cut from dutch knil long rifles
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

desdem12 wrote:Some are rough. The 7.7 is the .303. Depends on the price. A lot have poor chamberings and produce double shoulder brass. These were cut from dutch knil long rifles
Oh joy. This obscure info intrigues me. How do learn this stuff?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

A lot of reading and a friend has one. There are at least 2 or 3 versions of the 7.7 (.303) knil rifles. I have been not tempted by any. :beek:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)