1915 Erfurt Kar 98AZ

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ksbanker

1915 Erfurt Kar 98AZ

Post by ksbanker »

This rifle is for sale locally. I'm an amateur trying to learn quickly and take advantage of adding to the collection with primarily in person, local sales.

I have about 40 pictures from the seller and I'm trying to determine if his asking price is in the ball park. He is asking $850. It appears that all numbers are matching except for the bolt (I can't tell and have asked for clarification). He said his father brought it back from WW2.

What do you guys think? Thank you for your advice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
ksbanker

Re: 1915 Erfurt Kar 98AZ

Post by ksbanker »

Seller confirmed bolt does not match the rest of the rifle.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I say if your gonna play in the world of Mauser's you better get ready to pay, in particular German Mauser's like this one. Yea, I would say that is in, or maybe a bit under the ballpark, this isn't the more ordinary K98k and they are expensive enough. Recent RC mauser imports are expensive, never mind earlier, possible bringback stuff like this. Missmatched bolt is normal enough, when the Germans surrendered it was rifles on that pile, bolts on the other. I got that from a WW2 MP who was processing German mass surrenders after the war, guys would walk up to the huge piles and select a rifle, then go fish out a bolt that looked OK, and off they went. US rifles didn't serial number anything but the receiver so many guys didn't know to look for a bolt who's serial number matched the rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I've been on the lookout for a German AZ for quite some time to sit with my Polish AZ. They are uncommon and very expensive, especially with matching numbers and in reasonable condition. Don't know that I would WANT to pay $850 for a rifle with a non matching bolt and likely other non-matching parts. Like JYD says, getting into Mausers, especially one like this puts you in a different ballpark. The word "caution" pops up... Is the stock refinished on this one?
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Thanks for your input and advice. I think I'll wait. I don't want to jump in without knowing a lot more about these. I need a lifetime of research packed into my head now! Just can't happen. It would really stretch the gun fund too. I don't think it has been refinished. All the other parts appear to match on this gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~Sir Winston Churchill
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Ok, I haven't been able to shake this gun from my head. If you guys were looking at one of these, what are the important things to look for?
~Sir Winston Churchill
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

ksbanker wrote:Ok, I haven't been able to shake this gun from my head. If you guys were looking at one of these, what are the important things to look for?
I would be reading up on them and joining the Mauser forums.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Thank you guys. I made a deal and will be going to pick it up later this week. I'll post more pics once I've got it.
~Sir Winston Churchill
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

A nice pickup :Drool1: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Picked up the rifle Saturday and finally had the chance to get it taken apart and inspect everything last night. The hand guard has two cracks in it that I'd like to stabilize. I've been searching for methods on how to best do that. I'll post pictures in a post in the appropriate area. The numbers match on everything other than the bolt, down to even the action screws. It is really in quite nice condition and the bore is very good! I've got a head space gauge coming in today and hopefully will get be able to shoot it soon!

I asked the seller if he knew how his father ended up bring this rifle back. He told me that his father was an attorney before WW2 and once he signed up he was involved in action in North Africa, Italy, and Austria. When he was in Austria he was a base commander and brought back a number of guns. Several Luger's, "various other handguns", and two rifles. He said that his son has the other rifle his dad brought back which they sportorized in the 70's. Said it is chambered in 7x57.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Lots of history in that old girl. :thumbsup: