SKS bolt cover with mounting screws

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
405forneyl5

SKS bolt cover with mounting screws

Post by 405forneyl5 »

Does anyone know which models have scope mounting screws on the bolt cover ?
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Re: SKS bolt cover with mounting screws

Post by websterz »

You can buy aftermarket dust covers that have built in scope mounts. Not a very stable place to mount optics though. Kind of like mounting them to your gas tube.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

They don't shoot well with a scope, expect a six inch group. SKS shoot best w/ the sights that come on them. :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

steelbuttplate wrote:They don't shoot well with a scope, expect a six inch group. SKS shoot best w/ the sights that come on them. :2cents:
Yup..iron sights on a SKS

If you want accuracy then get a good bolt rifle.. :thumbsup:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

websterz wrote:You can buy aftermarket dust covers that have built in scope mounts. Not a very stable place to mount optics though. Kind of like mounting them to your gas tube.
Agreed... Bad idea. I have a full setup dustcover mount with scope; Never use it as I prefer the iron sights.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

405forneyl5 wrote:Does anyone know which models have scope mounting screws on the bolt cover ?
No known SKSs were sold with a cover of that style, the Chinese had and made variations of side rail attachments, attached to the left rear of the receiver itself. Usually it was a commercial Navy Arms model, SKS Hunter/Farmers Friend/a PU Sniper. Also, some Yugoslavians used as DMR/sniper rifles had a receiver attached variation, these designs can vary wildly.

The scope mounted cover attachment method is aftermarket.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Dannyboy53

Post by Dannyboy53 »

Throwing in my .02¢ worth, I will merely reflect what several others have noted. My scope (Ultralux 4 X 25) only helps to see the target a little clearer! I use it with a mount that I have tried on several of our SKS carbines and it has made no appreciable difference out to the 200 yard limit at our local range. Even with my Model 1953 eyes I can shoot almost as well without the scope!
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing...after they have tried everything else."
Winston Churchill
entropy

Post by entropy »

Yup, I actually shot better with iron sights-which is why I gave my scope & receiver mount to Rongo. He tried it out, came to the same conclusion I had, and so it sits gathering dust.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Mark AP

Post by Mark AP »

Greasemonkey wrote:
405forneyl5 wrote:Does anyone know which models have scope mounting screws on the bolt cover ?
No known SKSs were sold with a cover of that style, the Chinese had and made variations of side rail attachments, attached to the left rear of the receiver itself. Usually it was a commercial Navy Arms model, SKS Hunter/Farmers Friend/a PU Sniper. Also, some Yugoslavians used as DMR/sniper rifles had a receiver attached variation, these designs can vary wildly.

The scope mounted cover attachment method is aftermarket.
True[emoji106]
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I will admit it...... I'm guilty, I had a scope mounted cover once, years ago :oops: It pissed me off so much, I fixed it with my Bobcat...... permanently. :chuckles:

Problem solved :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.