My Jungle Carbine

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
burb1989

My Jungle Carbine

Post by burb1989 »

Of the five enfields I have this one is definitely my favorite. I bought this back around 2012-2013 before the AIM Surplus shipments came in and flooded the market. I found it at a larger gun show here with my dad for what I thought at the time was a decent price ($650). It is 100% matching all the way down to the numbered magazine and from its year of manufacture was a WW2 built example. Later on I found an original No5 bayonet at a much smaller gun show and for a much smaller price ($200). It is a Poole manufactured bayonet made in 1946 so it's one year newer than my carbine bit it fits it perfectly. I haven't shot it in a while just because of the hellish recoil it has but it has become my bedside carbine for home defense. Hope you all like it as much as I do.
(P.S. It does have the bayonet lug still. The sheets kind of obscured the view of it)
image20.JPG
image21.JPG
image22.JPG
image23.JPG
image24.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sonny

Re: My Jungle Carbine

Post by Sonny »

Sweet :thumbsup:

I have one I was surprised how accurate they are for a short barrel rifle...Nice rifle.. :wink:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I shot mine at an indoor range in Kentucky. I had the place to myself for a while.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Recoil? What part of the rifle is that? I have shot mine probably a couple thousand times without issue. Definitely in the top ranks of my favorite shooters, it even shoots that crap POF ammo with minimal problems. Nice find, it's not about the money with stuff like this, it's finding one at all that can be the problem.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Very nice. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I see these from time to time at the gun shows but am always very leary. I really don't know how to tell the difference between a real one and one that was just put together.
burb1989

Post by burb1989 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Recoil? What part of the rifle is that? I have shot mine probably a couple thousand times without issue. Definitely in the top ranks of my favorite shooters, it even shoots that crap POF ammo with minimal problems. Nice find, it's not about the money with stuff like this, it's finding one at all that can be the problem.
It's coming from the remnants of what was a rubber butt pad. Now it's more like a hockey puck digging in each time I shoot it. Despite that I do enjoy taking it to the range and I affectionately call it my "enfield shotgun", even though those do exist.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Get a slip on pad for shooting, it should cover the remains of the one on there.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

qz2026 wrote:Very nice. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I see these from time to time at the gun shows but am always very leary. I really don't know how to tell the difference between a real one and one that was just put together.
It's really quite easy to tell them apart.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013 ... real-fake/

http://www.realguns.com/articles/397.htm

No.5 was my first hunting rifle. I bought it around 1968 - 69 or so for around $15. It is very loud. It does kick (alot). And it is very accurate.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Beutiful :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Very nice, wish I had that bayonet for mine. :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
entropy

Post by entropy »

One of those was the first milsurp rifle I shot, and the kick left an impression.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Thanks so much for the posted links. A customer at the store I work at is bringing one by for me to look at and this will help a lot. JYD wrote me a while back telling me with to look for and with these pictures both will tell the story.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

entropy wrote:One of those was the first milsurp rifle I shot, and the kick left an impression.
It's just a .303 british which is not bad at all.

Unless you were 10 years old...lol :lol: :lol:
entropy

Post by entropy »

That's about how old I was.....but my Dad must have agreed with me. He sold his soon after he shot it. I shot my uncle's-they (mail) ordered them when they were still in High School. My uncle sporterized his, my Dad didn't keep his long enough to.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Very Nice. Have you removed the handguard to check if barrel is matching? Have you added it to the Surplus Rifle Forum Survey? Mine is matching, except the magazine is unmarked. Definitely a premium for matching mag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
burb1989

Post by burb1989 »

capt14k wrote:Very Nice. Have you removed the handguard to check if barrel is matching? Have you added it to the Surplus Rifle Forum Survey? Mine is matching, except the magazine is unmarked. Definitely a premium for matching mag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
From what I could find number wise tearing the carbine apart everything matches. I did put it in the Surplus Rifle Forum survey a few years back so that part's been taken care of anyway. I'm just glad to know I have a ww2 produced example that's fairly hard to come by.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Companys have been cutting up No4 rifles into No5's for many years, there were also kits offered for the home Bubba. Pop off that handguard, look for the scalloped cutouts around the barrel shank, nobody faked that part, or the lightening cuts to the receiver.
Theodore Roosevelt
burb1989

Post by burb1989 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Companys have been cutting up No4 rifles into No5's for many years, there were also kits offered for the home Bubba. Pop off that handguard, look for the scalloped cutouts around the barrel shank, nobody faked that part, or the lightening cuts to the receiver.
It definitely has the scalloped cutouts around the barrel shank so it's a real one for sure.