Went to go pick up my Mosin today, left with two guns

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
geosh

Went to go pick up my Mosin today, left with two guns

Post by geosh »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
JTheBigJay

Re: Went to go pick up my Mosin today, left with two guns

Post by JTheBigJay »

Nice. Thats the same set i'm working on gather up too. Very cool
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

You the MAN! :thumbsup:

Nice '42 Tula, but the pics are a bit fuzzy, what are the details?

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Now be honest, Wasn't that fun :lol: :lol: :lol: Gosh I love that feeling when you find two and just say, heck, your both coming home with me. :lol: :lol: Nice score. I really like those Yugoslavian SKS's What model is that? I'm not up on the models. 8-) 8-)
geosh

Post by geosh »

It's a Yugo M59/66.
Sgt. Rob wrote:ice '42 Tula, but the pics are a bit fuzzy, what are the details?
Sounds like you know more than I do... it's a '42 Tula 91/30. All the numbers match and the stock is about perfect except for a small nick towards the front of the barrel. I'll post better pics once I get it cleaned up a bit, I've still got some work to finish up today and I just washed my hands :P

It did come with the bayonet, two ammo pouches, a sling and a double-canteen looking thing I guess was used for gun cleaning stuff? I'm still kinda new at this...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That is a fine pair. The yugo looks real clean. How much was that SKS? SWEET :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
geosh

Post by geosh »

desdem12 wrote:That is a fine pair. The yugo looks real clean. How much was that SKS? SWEET :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The gunsmith had already cleaned it up, even though it's an "unfired reissue". I walked out the door with it for $400. Definitely stoked to take him and his older brother to the range!
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Nice looking rifles, off to a good start. :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Get some good pics up and we can start looking for anything unusual, also check to see if it has any plugged holes in the receiver to see if it may be an ex-sniper. And check under the tang to see if the date matches. Neat stuff like that.
The double canteen item is an oil can. Sometimes the stuff can still be in them.
Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Nice pair! Mosins and SKSs go together like...well, they just go together :)

Congrats on a couple of very nice rifles!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Tula ex snipers are usualy marked up by the star with a C N or a C H and i don't see that so i think it is not an ex. But a 42 is a good year to find in a tula. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Chumlee Bumsnag

Post by Chumlee Bumsnag »

You really did well on these two just on appearances. The Yugo is a beauty. We don't see many like that up here in Canada.
The 91/30 is interesting too. I see an Izhevsk mark on the barrel band but I don't see a refurb stamp on the barrel. More photos please.
JTheBigJay

Post by JTheBigJay »

The rubber butt pad on the stock shows it to be a 59/66 A1...

Peas and Carrots that SK and MN..
geosh

Post by geosh »

The Yugo is about flawless from what I can tell. I'm very happy with it. I'll post more pictures of it if requested, but I figured since this was a Mosin forum I would stay on topic ;)

After taking this thing completely apart and putting it back together to clean it, I can understand why it was so widely used. You can disassemble the whole thing with basically no tools at all!

Here are a few more pics of some markings on the bolt. I'm still trying to figure out how to make close-ups look good with my camera, so bear with me.

I don't see any plugs on it. The metal ends on the wood above the barrel seems more worn than the rest of the gun though:
geosh

Post by geosh »

Here's an interesting marking on the butt of the gun:

Considering there are Izhevsk and Tula markings on it, and then what appears to be a previous serial number "scratched out" with a new one that matches the barrel leads me to believe (I'm no expert) that the barrel and bolt may be newer than the rest of the gun. I thought Tula's were older though? Hmmm...
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I can't quite make out your serial number, but it looks like it ends in 96?
Maybe Someone adopted the Mauser practice of only stamping the last two numbers. :vconfused: Beat me.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
geosh

Post by geosh »

pacanis wrote:I can't quite make out your serial number, but it looks like it ends in 96?
Maybe Someone adopted the Mauser practice of only stamping the last two numbers. :vconfused: Beat me.
4M96 is what is on the barrel. Also, although you can't see it well in the pic, there is actually an arrow in the star. It just seems to have been worn out a bit.

Trying to think as to why a stock would be replaced... fire damage perhaps? Am I holding an artifact from the Battle of Stalingrad? :shock:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is a rifle that was refurbished by the Soviets after WW2, during the process the rifles were stripped down to the last bit and the parts were refurbished and inspected with thousands of like parts, at the end of the line the barreled receivers were reassembled into rifles without regard for whatever parts might have been on it when it was new. They are all mixmasters parts wise because of this. Any era Mosin part can be found in a refurbished rifle..
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

" Trying to think as to why a stock would be replaced... fire damage perhaps? Am I holding an artifact from the Battle of Stalingrad? "

There a 1000 reasons a stock was replaced, pick the most romantic. Your rifle may have not seen Stalingrad but there is a very good chance it does have a body or 2 on it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!