m1874/80 gras family heirloom

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
capt14k

Re: m1874/80 gras family heirloom

Post by capt14k »

What is a fair price for the Lebel's I posted earlier in thread? I can't find ammo for them and I have too many calibers as it is so I figure I will sell them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

SELL? I heard something like someone was gonna sell something? Call me interested :thumbsup: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: m1874/80 gras family heirloom

Post by capt14k »

desdem12 wrote:SELL? I heard something like someone was gonna sell something? Call me interested [emoji106] [emoji38]
I shoot what I collect and I can't find any 8mm Lebel Rifle ammo. Plus I don't think I want to stock another rifle round. I just need to find out what they are worth. If you have a price in mind PM me an offer. The worst I can say is no.

capt14k

Re: RE: Re: m1874/80 gras family heirloom

Post by capt14k »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It is not unusual to find French milsurps that date from the Great War or before that are mismatched. Losses were huge during the war and they were combing the battlefields for rifles, parts were salvaged and used to piece together usable rifles with no regard to matching any numbers. We lost over 58,000 men in a dozen years of Vietnam, the British lost that on the first day of the Somme in 1916. The Great War was a huge meat grinder that chewed up people and material at a mind boggling rate.
I need to spend more time looking at numbers. Turns out they are both matching Barrel, butt stock, and fore stock. The one without the receiver markings also has a matching floor plate.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What you would expect, things like the bolt are the most likely places to need minor repair and can be fixed the fastest by a quick bolt swap in the field. I have seen everything from full matching to only barrel and receiver matching in French Great War era arms.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt