M21 No 8 SKS - High Quality Chinese Production

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Had the great fortune to land a time capsule recently, a Chinese M21 No 8 SKS which is very close to as-manufactured condition. Fit and finish are on par with any of the best producers of the SKS.

Original bluing is near 100%, with no oxidation, freckling or fading. Internal parts have no wear from use. Stock has a few dings, and the finish is the only drawback. It has not been sanded, but there is a coating of BLO over the shellac. Tastefully done, but it still isn't quite right. The bayonet still has a light gold protective film, and the screw is staked. Cleaning kit, rod and a nice period sling are present.

I wish that I could give you a little better background on the M21 SKS, but there is no documented history of manufacture or distribution. But observations of features and context of existence in the US before general importation would indicate that these were built as a subset at Jianshe Arsenal in the late 1950's and/or early 1960's. The guns with this particular serial number configuration are all thought to be brought back from Vietnam or bordering nations in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Here are the pictures, and thanks for looking.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
husker51

Re: M21 No 8 SKS - High Quality Chinese Production

Post by husker51 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I like it!! I've been looking at these finer looking SKS carbines and am tempted to buy. Not really my thing but could become so.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
entropy

Post by entropy »

Again, another fine write-up, martin08! Did the NVA or VC it was isssued to even get a chance to fire it? It looks freshly picked off the battlefield, never hit the ground, maybe landed on top of him (or her). Mods, these write-ups of martin08's need to be their own category, or at least added in the Showcase!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

That sure is a beauty.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
B24

Post by B24 »

The mysterious golden bayonet like the one on my non refurb 54 Tula. The Chinese did use some Russian made parts. No one seems to know why some have this color. My 53 refurb Tula fas a bright silver bayo on it.
BTW a very nice example, a plus for any SKS collection.
Mark AP

Post by Mark AP »

Nice M21 I have one without the "NO" after M21 dates to 1965. No import marks and it's all matching except the dust cover, to bad my dust cover does not match.. but it does match the the condition of the rifle. The rifle is in well used condition looks like it's been there but still fully functional and looks pretty cool.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

A nice addition to any collection.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!