Type 30 arisaka rifle

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
burb1989

Type 30 arisaka rifle

Post by burb1989 »

Alrighty gang here's an unusual one at least for me. This type 30 arisaka was also given to me as a gift but it is a very strange beast indeed. It has a full mum which already is uncommon let alone for one this old, no double zeroes in front of the serial number showing it being sold out of service, and no other markings showing it being sold to another country. Also of note is the number 250 stamped into the butt stock. I figured it was for a different country but looking it up the way the numerals are shaped and placed it didn't match any country I could find that would've received these. Purportedly it came out of the collection of the late Doss White several years ago as the person who gave it to me purchased it from Mr. White himself. Everything I could find on it matches except for the bolt, which is common, and the bore is amazingly in great shape but it has pitting along the wood line from past water exposure which I know affects the value a bit but this one is so unique I wouldn't shoot it anyway just for risk of damaging something I either can't repair or find a replacement for.
image220.jpg
image221.jpg
image224.jpg
image222.jpg
image225.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Type 30 arisaka rifle

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Japanese imperial army served the Emperor of Japan, the chrysanthemum is the symbol of the Emperor, any rifle sold out of the emperors service would have it's mum in some way defaced. There was no exception to this, rifles sold to schools had concentric circles overstamped on the mum, when a Japanese soldier expected to imminently die serving the emperor in battle and knew the enemy would capture the rifle he placed the edge of the bayonet down on the mum and smacked it with a stone leaving cross marks across the mum. Likely the rifle was captured on one of the islands and brought home, Japanese rifles of all types were the most numerous bringhomes of the war. This is a nice example, the Japanese were short of small arms even before 7 Dec 1941, and it only got worse from there, anything that would shoot and chamber the issue cartridge was pressed into service no matter the age. The action in that rifle is based on the Mauser design, it was made at a time when the factory's were turning out top quality product, if it passes a headspace check you will not hurt it by firing a few rounds now and them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

Nice one
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
burb1989

Post by burb1989 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The Japanese imperial army served the Emperor of Japan, the chrysanthemum is the symbol of the Emperor, any rifle sold out of the emperors service would have it's mum in some way defaced. There was no exception to this, rifles sold to schools had concentric circles overstamped on the mum, when a Japanese soldier expected to imminently die serving the emperor in battle and knew the enemy would capture the rifle he placed the edge of the bayonet down on the mum and smacked it with a stone leaving cross marks across the mum. Likely the rifle was captured on one of the islands and brought home, Japanese rifles of all types were the most numerous bringhomes of the war. This is a nice example, the Japanese were short of small arms even before 7 Dec 1941, and it only got worse from there, anything that would shoot and chamber the issue cartridge was pressed into service no matter the age. The action in that rifle is based on the Mauser design, it was made at a time when the factory's were turning out top quality product, if it passes a headspace check you will not hurt it by firing a few rounds now and them.
I say it's an odd ball because of all the type 30 rifles and carbines produced only a small handful were left in original state and still in Japan's use. The vast majority of type 30s I've seen either have foreign country's markings on them, have been removed from military service, or were converted to smooth bore trainers.
The main worry about shooting this one is that the deepest pitting is occurring around where the highest pressure would accumulate when a round is fired. I just don't want a rifle this unique to get destroyed or damaged because I had the urge to shoot it. I have many type 38s with the same caliber that'll shoot just fine for my 6.5 rounds but my main shooting with my arisakas comes from my type 99s and I only really shoot one of them regularly just for personal preference.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Very nice one.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Think of the time period, Japan wasn't arming allied countries prior to 1945, they were attacking them and subjugating the native inhabitants. Japanese rifles with the markings of foreign countries on them got that way during the post WW2 period when they were being used by native forces in territory's formerly held by the Japanese. The mum tells the tale, the Japanese did not willingly give up that rifle. No rule has it that you need to shoot any rifle in your collection, I only shoot a small number of mine, but I have tried most of them at least once. Pitting below the wood or at the wood line is common with many milsurps. It's simply not always possible to stop and clean a weapon while in constant, or near constant contact with the enemy, not if one wants to live anyway.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
burb1989

Post by burb1989 »

That is true. Thanks for the clarification junk yard dog. This one is a beautiful display rifle and it helps me to show the progression of arisaka development when I do my larger displays at our small biannual military show.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
rakysk

Post by rakysk »

Beautiful Type 30.
I saw one on GB before Christmas, in a worse condition than yours. Sold for $415.
I wasn't the buyer. :vsad:
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

One of the nicer type 30 rifles I've seen. Congrats! :vcool: