Steyr M95M rifles

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
evildog

Steyr M95M rifles

Post by evildog »

So i picked up two Steyr M95M rifles in 8mm. One is sporterized but has excellant bore and rifling and a working extractor but no internal magazine. The second one has the correct stock and working extractor but also no internal magazine.

What i'm wanting to know is does anyone have parts for these left? Stocks or plans for the internal magazine?
I'm planning on building two internal magazines if i can not find one and insert them in the rifles. Any ideas where i could find an original stock?
I'll post photos of these two after bit to show them.....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Steyr M95M rifles

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If Numrich Arms doesn't have it I don't know who would.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Couple questions, what indication is there that these are in 8mm? Second, the original M95's did not have an internal magazine it used ammunition in Enbloc clips why change from that? Pictures are going to be a must on this subject.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Did some google clicks and looks like Yugoslavia converted some to 8mm mauser. The upper left pic would be the fixed mag compared to the enbloc below it. Guessing that could be what evildog is referring to.
Mann95Mclips.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

The M95M, emphasis on the second M, or M95/24 were Steyr's obtained by Yugoslavia and converted for use with 8mm Mauser. The common issues with these are missing internal magazine and broken or missing extractors. Yugoslavia made a number of modifications to the Steyr M95 rifles they had. This included new barrels, built in magazines, plate over the enbloc exit, Mauser sights, reworked bolt, and many others.

They wanted to be able to use the same ammo and stripper clips they were using with the M24.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I made a stock from long rifle stock and a part of an m95 carbine and an unknown mauser handguard. The barrel bands were the hardest part other then finding a mauser handguard I could use. I still don't have a perfect fit but it isn't to bad. You can make a clip but it is better to make one from the solid slab side clips and those are available if you look around. There is plans deep deep in the internet somewhere I just don't remember where. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

finished product
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I still need a better mauser part handguard but have moved on to other projects and forgotten this for a while. unfortunately I didn't take any fotos of the clip. But it looks like the fotos above. The yugos made quite a few of these and the easy way to tell is the markings along with the mauser rear sight. They used m24 barrels that they had or were making. You can also see the front sight is mauser style. Always check for clip and extractor as a lot of the clips are missing and a lot of the extractors are broken or missing. I think you should have fairly good luck in making the clips. Trial and error. :thumbsup:
evildog

Post by evildog »

Here's some photos of the sporterized one. It is a 8mm barrel and the receiver is cut out for 8mm stripper clips but it does not have a internal magazine. I 'm looking to make one like the photo dresdem 12 posted.
evildog

Post by evildog »

Here is the other one with a complete stock and no internal magazine also. I really liked the stock dresdem 12 made and may do that for the sporterized one.
evildog

Post by evildog »

The sporterzied one has a great bore and rifling and the extractor has been repaired at one time. If i can find the parts i would like to make it whole again. Now to do some sheet metal work for the internal magazine.
evildog

Post by evildog »

Dresdem 12 have you shot yours?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Yes Mine shoots very good. Has a real nice bore. I found mine in the sporter stock with the internal clip and extractor for 100 bucks and the stock cost 27 shipped. The bands cost 30 or so though by themselves. The stock was not to bad to do. Had to cut it and inlet the barrel channel and also inlet for the barrel band on the end which I did with a table belt sander. The little punchouts on the clip are to give it the right space and hold it and the bullets in the magazine. So if you get the general size you wont need those exact punchouts. HOWEVER, the clip has to flex some so it can accept the bullets and then flex back to hold.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You also can make an extractor from a model 1917 extractor. There is an explanation of that somewhere on the net also
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

evildog

Post by evildog »

Yup, i've got some of those slab side clips and i've been reading about using the model 1917 extractor with a little work to use in the rifles.....
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I will be interested to see the final product. :thumbsup: