A little bit of an out-there one for this sub, perhaps - CC

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SSGTSemperFi

A little bit of an out-there one for this sub, perhaps - CC

Post by SSGTSemperFi »

OK, so, i'm posting this same topic on a few boards. I figure, the more input I can get, the better informed i'll be on my decision.

Looking into getting my first Concealed carry. I've done a fair amount of digging, hunting, searching, fondling (whoops, did I say that?), and contemplating.

What i've sighted in on (puns!) are these three:

Bersa Thunder, while i've not pinpointed a model, i'm looking at the Combat, or the 9mm (super compact)

Some distinction of the Mak, leaning currently towards a P64. Although I haven't personally handled one, i'm able to adapt to a wide range of ergonomics.

Or, the Ruger LCP2.

I've handled the base Thunder 380 as well as the LCP (haven't been able to get my hands on a LCP2, but they seem very similar) and, while small compared to my beloved 1911, were comfortable. As stated, i've not been able to get my hands on a mak.

If you have any personal insight into any of these, they'd be greatly welcomed. Any preferences of any of these is also welcomed.
If you don't carry one of these, what do you carry, and why?
And finally, If you do, or used to carry one why, or why did you switch out?

I'm leaning more towards a no-frills, "budget" carry for the time being. Someday, i'd love to up myself to the P220, but that's a bit out of my price range for some time to come.
Call me old school here, but you may notice a trend here, hammer-fired. My personal preference is to avoid striker fired pistols... but I suppose it's always possible to be persuaded if someone can present a valid argument one way or the other.... so have at it! :P
Brake Weight

Re: A little bit of an out-there one for this sub, perhaps - CC

Post by Brake Weight »

I currently carry a KelTec P3AT. Basically a bare bones LCP without slidelock or safety. I carry it in a wallet style holster in my back pocket. I chose this several years ago before the LCP was released. I'm currently looking for a new CC piece because this only likes to cycle one factory ammo. So any target practice is single shot or with the slightly pricier hollow point that it likes.

On my radar are the new small Glock, the small Kimber .45, or some form of hammerless revolver. I fondled a Taurus UltraLite 444 recently and considered its use with .44 special. But concealing it outside of the short winters in the Deep South would be a challenge.

My father in law carried a CZ70 IWB when he was still alive. It's not much bigger than the LCP and would eat anything put into it.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I have also been carrying a KelTec, but mine is a P32 in .32 ACP. Recently, I acquired a S&W Model 638 Airweight snub and if I find the right holster for it, I will be switching to the larger .38 SPL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

My carry gun is a Glock 42 which is chambered for 380 ACP. I wear XL gloves (they are still tight) and can get a solid grip and be really quite accurate with it. When thinking about a carry gun, I think the ability for accurate shot placement supersedes pure "knock down power" or ultra light weight. I usually pocket carry it in a Kydex holster. It has cycled every type of ammo I've tried, which has been a number of different HP's and FMJ's. My favorite is Winchester PDX1.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I carry 3 different ones. g43 g19 or a lcr .327
All are pretty easy to carry.
I used to carry an XDS 3.3 .45, after it got stolen I bought the 4.0 and it just wasn't as comfortable.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
B24

Post by B24 »

I recently acquired a P64, it shoots great but be prepared to manually cock it to get the first
round out the barrel. DA trigger pull is horrendous and SA is on the light side. I've been dry
firing it a lot and it is getting better. I did cut a piece off a popcicle stick and stuck it under the
hammer to absorb the shock to the firing pin while dry firing. My cousin has a P64 that has a nice trigger pull
but he checked about a dozen different ones before he found one he liked. Trigger pull aside
they are a very well made weapon. It's all steel so it's a little other heavy side, I also have a
LCP and would recommend it if you are planning on pocket carry.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

One consideration (of many) would be that in a situation where a person is struggling with an attacker for control of a handgun, a pistol with an exposed hammer can be prevented from firing if a part of the hand is used to block the hammer. Hammerless or striker fired pistols don't have that consideration. Pull the trigger and it will shoot.
SSGTSemperFi

Post by SSGTSemperFi »

@Brake Weight/tjtM38,
What have your experiences with the extractors on your respective models been? I ruled those out as everywhere I looked, it seemed to be a common trend: extractor failure. While Kel Tec seems to be a great company to deal with, that's going to be of little use to me if the need arises and a failure results in a single shot pistol. .380 isn't known for being a showstopper when it comes to raw energy transfer, makes for a little bit of a lose-lose situation.

I took a look at several defensive revolvers, and while I love them (my favorite firearm of all time unequivocally goes to the Colt Single Action), they just aren't going to be my carry. I'm not as accurate with them and tend to find that in situations of need, my purchase on the grip tends to be much higher than a revolver would be good for.

@B24
Would you have an estimate to the trigger pull weight on your "un-broken-in" P64? I hadn't considered that an issue if i'm totally honest. Weight isn't much of an issue for me for carry (my EDC tends to be on the heavy side as-is :P), and if i'm totally honest, I tend to prefer a little more weight than poly wonders offer, I find my followups tend to be a little bit faster. I'm yet to give it a go (obviously) but my initial impression is that appendix carry is going to be my choice.

@awalker1829
I'd call that a valid defense in favor of striker-fired, but I also rebuttal with this:
In a situation like that, what are the odds that the firearm would be more likely to be disabled by a disengaged lockup? One would think that a situation like that would not unlikely result in a situation wherein your slide is not fully locked up, your sear is disengaged, and would result in a FTF.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

@SSGTSemperFi

My P3AT is an earlier version. It would not function out of the box. There are several 'fluff and buff' techniques online and I did something like that. What it boiled down to with mine was the feed ramp and the ammo I was using. I tried about 5 brands of various ammo before settling on Hornady Critical Defense. It cycles every time now. Round nose, flat nose, hollow point, and other brands of CD would not cycle consistently. The Hornady does.

I ended up with a polishing bit the size of a round on my dremel and some Mothers polishing compound. It has a mirror finish on the ramp now and then I blued the barrel since it was pretty much raw steel.

There's some round nose I practice with that will cycle 4 out of 6 usually. But a nudge with my thumb on the slide will put it in the chamber. Again, the Hornady CD cycles. But a little practice with the 'lesser' ammo isn't a bad thing.

Some lighter loads won't even clear before getting caught by the slide. This could simply be a spring change out.

These little KelTecs need to be massaged to work. If you want to carry it right out of the box this isn't the one. It doesn't have much knock down power and gets laughed at by friends and family. But one could nearly conceal it in a Speedo. It's loud and spits fire in low light. I can aim and hit a paper at 15-20 yards. From the hip hit a man size target at 10 yards and under. Carried in place of a wallet you have the jump on a would be mugger demanding money. Done that in New Orleans once. It's small and unobtrusive. Sometimes I even forget it's in my pocket until I throw my jeans down at the end of day.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Rowdy1

Post by Rowdy1 »

I carry a G-23 and my wife a G-43. Both capable of doing the job. Remember the average self defense gunfight is 4 rounds at 7 feet and you need to be in the fight in 2 seconds.
entropy

Post by entropy »

While I'm not fond of your caliber choices, the CZ-82 or 83 is a better gun in either caliber. For a slightly larger size, a Taurus Millenuim G2 is in a slightly better caliber. (can you tell I don't like .380 and 9mm?)

If you think you can conceal a P220, why not go with one? or an 1911? Carrying a .380 or micro9 is usually a concession to fashion, which is the backwards way of doing it. Dress around the gun, and you can carry what you want to.

Yes, I have a small gun, an S&W Bodyguard 38. It's what I carry when it is impossible to dress around the gun, (100 degerees, certain social occasions) it is also my BUG for my other CCW's My normal CCW is a Taurus PT145; a very hard gun to shoot accurately, and I should practice with it more often. Still, It'll do the job at my present skill level. I also occasionally carry my PT1911AR, and can do so in the summer.

Read Massad Ayoob's book(s) on Concealed Carry, there is a trove of information there.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

For years I have carried a full-size 1911A1. These days it sits in a King Tuk holster, worn at about the 4:00 position, and believe it or not, it is quite comfortable. I am not a big man, but I don't mind the bulk or the weight. It doesn't even bother me when I am driving long distances. I live in Florida and I have no trouble with cover, even in the heat of the summer. I am a bit old fashioned, but I don't trust the stopping power of a .380, in any bullet style or charge, and, regardless of all of the arguments to the contrary, I think that nine rounds 230 grains moving at 850 ft/sec will stop any threat I may encounter. If I am wrong, you all can chisel it on my tombstone.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

My two carry guns are a gen 3 Glock 19 and a Springfield Champion Lightweight 1911 in 45ACP. I carry the Champion Lightweight 98% of the time as I've had it a long time, it's eaten everything I've thrown at it, and it's the most comfortable pistol of mine that I shoot. It gets a little heavy on long days, but I really like knowing I'm carrying 45ACP hollow points. Like SA1911a1, I want 230 grains against a threat.

I have a P64, and although it's a fine handgun, it has wayyyyy too much muzzle flip for me to consider it as a dedicated concealed carry piece. I have had it under the counter at the shop as a backup pistol though. I'd carry a Tokarev before I'd carry the P64 myself. :D
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

My carry gun is the Beretta M9 Commercial. Sixteen rounds of 115 grain FMJ in the gun and fifteen rounds in the backup mag. Other gun that's backup is the Colt Government Model M1911A1 my grandfather carried. I carry it less due to its sentimental value. Either one of them will take care of most threats. Being that I'm a big guy, they both work nicely for me.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have carried a few different pistols in 9X18 the last being an East German Makarov. About 3 months ago I opted for the new Remington R51 in 9mm. The first issue had it's problems but the new issue runs like a Swiss watch.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

I'm a smaller trim person and have not been happy with anything that's crossed my path so far. I've bought several handguns lately plus looked and tested several more in the past couple months. There's a lot of compact types of pistols that have entered the market in the past couple years.
I've just ordered a S&W MP Shield upgraded from Performance Center ( $420 ) and plan to wear it out as soon as it arrives. I think this will be perfect to fit my needs.

For IDPA defensive pistol shoots I like to carry a Beretta 92 or my Sig Pro.... Nice weapons but way to big for me to hide.
SSGTSemperFi

Post by SSGTSemperFi »

@Brake Weight
That's totally fair enough. Unfortunately, for the time being, it's going to have to stay off of my list. Time is tight, and getting tighter where I would have sufficient enough time to sit down and give her some fine-tuning TLC. Not to mention California sort of frowns upon discharging firearms in your backyard. That'd mean many trips back and forth to the range.

@entropy
I'm not the biggest fan of .380 either, however my philosophy (for the time being) is that it's better than a sharp stick, and a sharp stick is better than a leaf.... ;P
I'm not considering a P220 as, for the time being, it's out of my price range (I know, save up, but i'm in a situation where I don't feel comfortable unless I have something to carry, so urgency is a pressing matter). I no longer own my 1911, transferred it into my sister's name when she moved out, it's her home defense gun now.
I'll certainly give those books a look!

How does your PT145 treat you? i've not looked at it specifically, but everything in .45 on a budget that i've come across seemed to be resoundingly "meh". I know Taurus can be a little hit-and-miss, more so than some other firearms manufacturers. A good friend had a miss with a Model 840 that he gave up on after numerous factory revisits.
entropy

Post by entropy »

I've found it doesn't like my Dad's 185gr. LSWC reloads, but most guns don't.[emoji4] I also found that it shot very low with the sights, so I removed them. It was hitting 6" low at @ 10 yards. I suspect the sights used on it are for a longer barreled gun. It has a bit of recoil and muzzle whip, but if your used to a 1911, it's not intolerable. It has been 100% reliable with all the different SD ammo I've tried in it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

@Jbob

Get used to every in and out of it before carrying it. A few boxes rounds through it, too.
Abraham Lincoln
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

I have a 738 TCP in .380 and just picked up a 9mm Millenium G2. The TCP was $170 new and works fine with everything so far. The G2 was $200 used/new in box, but I haven't tried it yet. They were hard to pass up at those prices.