8mm Mauser ammo

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Witchdoctor

8mm Mauser ammo

Post by Witchdoctor »

Has anyone tried the mixed surplus 150 count bunch of 8mm Mauser ammo liberty tree has ol, just checking to see if it was decent ?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 8mm Mauser ammo

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have bought odd lots before, not from Liberty, but odd lots are odd lots. Buy it as plinking ammo, don't expect anything past basic military load performance, and somewhat erratic as you are shooting different manufacturers and lot's each round. You know shooting characteristics of any rifle can change when you swap from one brand of ammo to another, expect that here. Great for cheap can plinking, but do not buy this for competition shooting or serious evaluation of a rifles shooting characteristics. I used to do this sometimes with .303 or 7.62x54, I would use it when I allowed my pistol shooter friends to fire my rifles at the range. They can't hit the side of a barn with a rifle anyway so no point giving them the best ammo.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

That's cool, yeah but it'll work like you say for the range blowing off steam...and with a bolt action won't be any irratic feeding issues either, just wondering if they were corroded mainly, description and pics appear to be fine, thanks for the input.
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

Did get in some 1947 Turkish 8mm on clips that looks good in a bandolier, haven't tried it yet.
IMG_0345.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That Turk ammo has a thump.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Heavy Metal 1

Post by Heavy Metal 1 »

I shot a lot of that back in the day when it was readily available, and it was very inexpensive. It also is very hot ammo with a satisfying shoulder smack. Some folks have run it over a chronograph and it is fast. Some folks complained that 1947 year stuff was poor quality with cracked necks, loose bullets, etc. I have found that to be the case with that year and other years as well so examine your stuff carefully before shooting. It is corrosive.
I'm made of metal, my circuits gleem, I am perpetual, I keep the country clean.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

2.3 cents a round bought in bulk, and I bought in bulk. Shot 8-10 thousand rounds of it in a variety of Mauser bolt rifles with no problems. I had and still have 1930's to 1945 dated stuff, the best was the stuff from before 1941, it came on brass three piece stripper clips that were the best Mauser clips I ever found. I am still using them today, the one piece clips were less desirable and I only used them the one time. It is hot stuff so I didn't use it in the semi auto's or the Commission rifles.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

In the 90s, at gun shows, you could buy it for $2.00 per bandoleer along with a $69.00 Turkish Mauser
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

Wish I had gotten into my surplus collection about twenty years ago lol !