24/30 Venezuelan Short rifle

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
willyj73

24/30 Venezuelan Short rifle

Post by willyj73 »

This is the nicest surplus rifle I own. I got it from an auction this past summer and have kept it hidden away. The stock is an early stock and has a non matching serial number. The butt plate has some light rust. Other than that (and a missing cleaning rod), the rifle has very few flaws. Some of the photos are a little dark due to the overcast/light drizzle. I probably won't shoot this rifle, although I'd like to. Where can I find a cleaning rod for this rifle? I'm not sure if I want the muzzle cover as I don't know if it would wear the bluing on the muzzle. A nice bayonet would look good on this as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Re: 24/30 Venezuelan Short rifle

Post by willyj73 »

More photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

WOOF!!!
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: very nice
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

South American contract Mausers seem to be quite nice.
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Love the crest
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Cj556 wrote:South American contract Mausers seem to be quite nice.
They are. I'd like to collect some nice contract Mausers along with my Mosins.
Mosin Fanboy
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

willyj73 wrote:
Cj556 wrote:South American contract Mausers seem to be quite nice.
They are. I'd like to collect some nice contract Mausers along with my Mosins.
Unless you get a VZ-24-JC that was meant for the Brazilian Revolutionaries during the 1932 Sao Paulo uprising. Mine looks like they soaked it in water, then put it into storage, there is lots of pitting beneath the woodline. How much I can't remember, but it reminded me of the pitted/beat up Chinese Type 53's (M44 Mosin Nagant) that came in some years ago!

That said the rifle posted is a beautiful example, would love to find one in that condition!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Sweet little rifle! :Drool1:
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Central and South American Contract Mausers are my new favorite. Many of them look unissued or are unissued and some are pretty rough especially below the wood but they all have cool crests and are well made. Nice Rifle I have one as well. Still looking for the Venezuelan Pan-Am Target. If your interested in a mostly matching one in your neck of the woods willyj73 PM me. I almost bought it, but I'm holding out for all matching.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Thanks all. I really like the rifle and probably lucked out on auction. Only problem is that now I'd like to own a few more rifles in similar condition. After winning this, I found what looked like an excellent condition VZ24 Japanese Mauser. I don't have much knowledge with Mausers, and was so enticed by the auction photos that I missed a few signs that the rifle was refinished. I also did not heed the warning of two people on FB. So, I bid, and paid a good bit for a refinished Mauser. Now that I own it, I can see the areas that I should have noticed. Whoever refinished the rifle did a good job, but the stock does feel unnatural. And, I can see the discoloration of the stock that occurs during sanding.
Mosin Fanboy
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Beautiful Venezuelan! That crest is very cool.