Bolt Lube????????

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
King Johhny

Re: Bolt Lube????????

Post by King Johhny »

I like to grease my firearms on the locking lugs and other points of contact, but I would just put some oil down where the firing pin is, unless you disassemble it.
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Depends on the conditions were it is being used. If you don't shoot your Mosins them a wipe down with an oily rag now and then is all that's needed. If your range or hunting area is dusty, sandy, then a dry bolt is best. Oil and grease attract and hold dirt turning it into sandpaper, not a good thing. If you shoot or hunt in the cold oil and grease harden up and make your bolt sticky and sluggish. In hot weather the rifles heats up and any liquid oil is going to splatter out during firing and right into your face. For normal use some very light weapons oil on the inside to lubricate the spring, use the oil sparingly, treat it like it's $500 an ounce. Drip some oil onto a rag, do not soak the rag, wipe down the bolts outer surface and you are good to go. Never run the action dripping with any lubricant, you do not want that getting into the chamber, always have the bore, chamber and bolt head dry when you shoot. Oil in the chamber can lead to abnormally high chamber pressures, not a good thing. When you store the rifle away were you can't see it and will not be handling it daily then soak the metal with a thicker oil, a wet oil not that spray on and it dry's crap. Get it in the bore, the chamber, bolt, all over the metal, this is to protect it from humidity, fingerprints, and so on during storage. ALL of that must be removed before the next time you fire the rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rowdy1

Post by Rowdy1 »

Most people tend to over lube everything on their guns. Unless you're in unusual weather conditions or dusty conditions less is usually better. If I haven't used the gun in a long time I will give it a light lube before shooting. As far as the bolt I wipe it down with rag that has a little lube on it and put one or two drops of lube into the hole that has the firining pin. I've been to the range and see guys with their shooting glasses full of lube from shooting over lubed firearms.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These rifles are like retirees who sit in front of the TV all day and only get exercise when someone call them to the supper table. Your occasional range trip with a few hundred rounds or less will make no impact if the rifle is run dry. You aren't giving it the use of a Red Army soldier spending years in the field chasing Germans back to Berlin. It will be fine, you will never shoot it enough to wear it out, the cost of the ammo is too high now for that. The most wear put on these rifles comes from cleaning them, not shooting them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

I took my bolt apart, heated it up a bit after cleaning it, sprayed some Ballistol all over it. Then I let it sit for a few days, and wiped the excess off. My hope is, since I treated the bore as well, it will protect it, and ease in cleaning when I use my Ballistol/water mix. So far so good.
Gene S

Post by Gene S »

With all my firearms, I use a light grease on the contact areas but very sparingly.
Down the bore I use a light gun oil & store it muzzle down to let any excess drain down over night.

That usually is all I ever need to do.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

I go by the old military adage of if it slides grease it, and if it rotates oil it. I lightly grease contact points with good old reliable wheel bearing grease. I like Ballistol, SLIP 2000 EWL, ALG Go Juice and good old 3 in 1 oil as far as oils go.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...