collision

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

collision

Post by Darryl »

This is real and in a museum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grinder

Re: collision

Post by Grinder »

The Matrix is REAL
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Put enough lead in the air and it's bound to happen. The real eye opener is that someone found it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Matrix of what?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

While very cool they likely didn't collide mid air. The one has no rifling.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Probably because it was in someone's cartridge belt when it was hit.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bet that impact had the poor bastard on the ground crying .
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

capt14k wrote:While very cool they likely didn't collide mid air. The one has no rifling.

You like to read on the internet ....don't you. well, you shouldn't believe all that you read...especially on Yahoo or Google.

That is a theroy they like to argue about. But there are hundreds of example of this same thing being dug up on battle fields all over the world. many of them are prove correct. So, to say this is not another on because you see no "rifling" in a poor photo is a little presumptive. Unless you have it in your hand, all you can do is go by what someone else is guessing.

Go read Yahoo again, there are dozens of examples even more incredible then this.

Even if this is just a strile of one round hitting another in a magazine or something, it's pretty incredible and still a "collision". (unless you think it was "staged" and put in a museum).

Just a few more from the same website and all over the world. Nothing "unique", with that many bullets flying, some are going to hit each other.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I wasn't arguing it couldn't happen and didn't think it was staged. That one example in particular I had seen about a year ago on a site and they had ballistic experts opinions on it. So I can't take credit for coming to the conclusion on my own about the rifling. It had to do with both rifling and impact IIRC. I believe it was on display as part of a 100 year celebration from the battle it was picked up at.

However they did also show some of the others you have displayed and they agreed they did impact by hitting each other in the air.

capt14k

Re: RE: Re: collision

Post by capt14k »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Probably because it was in someone's cartridge belt when it was hit.
That's exactly what they said, it was likely in a cartridge belt when hit, and likely was coming from a longer range IIRC. They went into the twist of the bullet, how it impacted, and explained why it wasn't a fake like many of the bullets through a quarter that are sold on eBay.

For the record I don't believe all that I read, I don't use yahoo (does anyone still), and yes I do read a lot. When I come to an analysis, made by multiple individuals, who know far more than myself, I tend to believe things like that. Especially when they go into great detail, and I cross check it elsewhere, and other conclusions I find are the same.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Great War was the last major conflict involving massed infantry charges, thousands of men firing at each other as fast as they could work a bolt or feed a belt. Over the top and into a wall of lead, every war before that was conducted in a similar manner, long lines of men facing each other and firing at will, poor Will died in the first second, but after that the bullets flew, some would collide, nobody would see this at the time of course. The poor unlucky sons of bitches who got hit in the cartridge belt, bandoleer, cartridge box, or pocket knew about it right quick. Get enough energy behind that bullet and it's going to drive itself and the round it hit into the flesh. Machine gunners would rake an advancing enemy from top to bottom, a lot of weird shit happens on battlefields. Springfield Armory has a display full of stuff like this collected from the battlefields and sent back for study. There is even one musket that was struck by lightening as the soldier carrying it walked his post, it fused the metal and twisted the barrel like a pretzel. I believe it also killed the man.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Grinder wrote:The Matrix is REAL
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Matrix of what?
:lol: :lol: :pointdown:

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c8Dl2c1whM[/bbvideo]
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

The one with no rifling indications came out of the T53 that I bought from Omega...
joelvca

Post by joelvca »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:There is even one musket that was struck by lightening as the soldier carrying it walked his post, it fused the metal and twisted the barrel like a pretzel. I believe it also killed the man.
If that's the one I recall, the astoundingly lucky soldier survived, largely unharmed though knocked unconscious and temporarily deafened IIRC. He was walking his post in a pounding thunderstorm, completely soaked, and took shelter under a tree. KA-ZAP!!!! I seem to recall something about the soles of his shoes (boots?) being badly burned. The rifle plus bayonet are less of a pretzel than a really impressive s-curve in my vague memory from several decades ago.

Regards,
Joel
M39 Shooter

Post by M39 Shooter »

I remember seeing a musket ball with the perfect impression of someone`s front teeth . He was slightly gap toothed..., was.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The collision doesn't imply that both were in motion. I bet if you mined a rifle back-stop you could come up with something like that. My berm has thousands of rounds concentrated in a 4' circle.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum