Very intersting or uh oh?

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
jimpierce7

Very intersting or uh oh?

Post by jimpierce7 »

As I am not overly experienced with hand guns I found it kind of weird that when I cleaned my XD9, the barrel wasn't dirty. :o

Winchester just some super extra clean rounds? lol

I mean, there was nothing on the wads. Two types of cleaning solution too. No brush though.
entropy

Re: Very intersting or uh oh?

Post by entropy »

What type of solvent/cleaner did you use? I guarantee if you run a patch soaked with BreakFree CLP down that bore, it'll have carbon on it. A brush after the BreakFree will make it much darker.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I use G96 on most guns..

Is that a bad thing?
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

lets see, Pro Shot 1 step cleaner (the stuff that comes with cleaning kits, kind of reddish) and Ballistol was the second. I've put about 400 rounds through since the last time I cleaned it.

I am out of, ah hell, I can't remember the name of it now. lol Red stuff? Real smelly, works real good on the Mosins.

I've read good things about both BreakFree CLP and G96. I need to pit stop at my LGS anyway and get some decent wads, the ones I got from Wally world aren't worth a dang.

I've not had much luck with Remoil for cleaning either.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

For what it's worth, Rem OIL is just that, an oil/lubricant. Not so much a cleaner
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Hoppes 9.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I like;

Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner for newly acquired used guns with less than perfect bores.

Hoppes no9 for general cleaning.

Break-Free CLP for a gun oil.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I use a lot of Hopps 9 as well.

Nothing was sticky after I started using Frog lube. I use that when I am on my way out to go shoot.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Has anyone ever tried Slip2000 on Mosins or other Milsurps? I usually use Hoppes or Ballistol on Milsurps but the Slip2000 is great on ARs I would think it would be just as good on Milsurps. Curious as to others opinions.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
entropy

Post by entropy »

Kinda expensive for that, but yes it would work well on Milsurps also.

Wait, wads?!? Wads are what separates the powder and shot in a shotshell, or the BP and ball in a BP revolver.......you clean guns with patches. (And brushes.) I have seen 'wads' sold for cleaning, look like cigarette filters. They do not put enough pressure on the barrel to get it very clean. A patch on a correctly sized jag soaked in Hoppe's or BreakFree will get dirt out of the barrel of an M14 of a Tomb of the Unknown Soldier guard. Soak it in the Copper cleaning version of Hoppe's, they will come out blue, unless the gun has never been shot.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Cotton pickin' grammar police!! Even on RMNF!!

Funny thing, I have a very very (I think that's enough "very") long history of mis-naming things. lol Ok ok!! PATCHES!! sheesh.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I use Ed's Red on everything...
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

capt14k wrote:Has anyone ever tried Slip2000 on Mosins or other Milsurps? I usually use Hoppes or Ballistol on Milsurps but the Slip2000 is great on ARs I would think it would be just as good on Milsurps. Curious as to others opinions.

Once in a while I use a rag soaked in SLIP2000 to wipe down my milsurps. I go through a pretty good bit of it when I shoot my AR's. SLIP2000 is a great lubricant, but it's reserved primarily for the AR's. I use Hoppes #9 for cleaning, and 3-In-1 oil for lubricating on my other guns. I use Ballistol from time to time too. I can't stand Breakfree CLP personally. I've recently tried Geissele's ALG Go Juice and so far it is holding up like SLIP2000.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: Very intersting or uh oh?

Post by capt14k »

RazorBurn wrote:
capt14k wrote:Has anyone ever tried Slip2000 on Mosins or other Milsurps? I usually use Hoppes or Ballistol on Milsurps but the Slip2000 is great on ARs I would think it would be just as good on Milsurps. Curious as to others opinions.

Once in a while I use a rag soaked in SLIP2000 to wipe down my milsurps. I go through a pretty good bit of it when I shoot my AR's. SLIP2000 is a great lubricant, but it's reserved primarily for the AR's. I use Hoppes #9 for cleaning, and 3-In-1 oil for lubricating on my other guns. I use Ballistol from time to time too. I can't stand Breakfree CLP personally. I've recently tried Geissele's ALG Go Juice and so far it is holding up like SLIP2000.
Have you found anything negative with Slip2000 other than the price? CLP I have read nightmare stories about it leaving a film that is hard to remove. I have zero issues with Slip2000 and it is certainly a great lubricant. I just haven't been keen about using it on my older rifles simply out of fear of the unknown.

RazorBurn

Re: RE: Re: Very intersting or uh oh?

Post by RazorBurn »

capt14k wrote:Have you found anything negative with Slip2000 other than the price? CLP I have read nightmare stories about it leaving a film that is hard to remove. I have zero issues with Slip2000 and it is certainly a great lubricant. I just haven't been keen about using it on my older rifles simply out of fear of the unknown.

I have nothing but great things to say about SLIP2000. It's a great lube. I've been using it for four years now, and I haven't seen any type of film on anything I've used it on. I've rocked some of my AR's pretty hard and long with it, and they've all ran great. I haven't found anything else yet that will replace it. The ALG Go Juice is looking like a good secondary choice so far, but I only have about four months of experience with it. If I was out of my normal lubricant, I wouldn't hesitate to use SLIP2000 on any gun I own.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

3N1 oil will gum up a gun over time.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

millman wrote:3N1 oil will gum up a gun over time.
My Grandpa used it all his life, and I've used it for thirty years. I have never had an issue with it gumming up or anything else. I use it primarily as rust preventative while they're in the safe. That's been my experience with it.
entropy

Post by entropy »

It works well for that, though it dries up over time. (As most do.) It is not a great choice for a lubricant. I've cleaned the results of that ( 3N1 oil will gum up a gun over time.) out of many an action.

Murphy was an optimist.

jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

After the range today I will see. I did get a new bottle of Hoppes9 cleaner.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Just remember it's not a little bottle of love potion number 9 :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt