Lee Enfield and I need help!

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
King Johhny

Lee Enfield and I need help!

Post by King Johhny »

So I purchased this SMLE No.1 Mk.III off of Gunbroker for $255. It is a 1918 Enfield manufacture and has the magazine cut-off present and the barrel is in good shape along with the rest of the rifle. However when I was cycling the bolt the extractor spring just popped out. So I took and tried every way I could think of to get it back in until I broke it :bonk: . So I really want to shoot this rifle, is it an essential part? Would it still extract rounds good (I don't believe it will just looking for some confirmation)? Is there any way I can fix it without buying a new one? If I have to buy a new one how would I get it in there without it breaking? Also, where could I get one? Thanks and here are some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Lee Enfield and I need help!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Every part of that rifle is necessary for it's operation, that includes the extractor spring. Buy another one, try Liberty tree here on the board, or Numrich arms ( google them) . The spring is a pain in the ass to deal with sometimes, but if you are going to shoot that weapon the first task is to master tearing it down and putting it back. If you were around here I would have you field stripping that spring in the dark until you got it right. The best resource available to you when you are having difficulty putting something like this together is right here on the board. At least 20 or more of us own multiple Enfields, ask the questions first, it would have save you money in this case. There are various tricks to get the spring in using small screwdrivers to push it, or multiple loops of dental floss to pull it in, but in the end you have to snap it in, no other way to get it. Get a spare spring, and a spare little screw for the extractor while you are at it, these parts do break or get lost.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Enter something like extractor on Mk 1 #3 Enfield on Youtube, there is probably a video on it. E-bay is another possible parts source. I've had a dozen but never that problem. I think if I was going to shoot it much I'd take that cutoff off carefully and keep the parts together, but I never had one with cutoff. I didn't think they were still on the rifles in 1918. Maybe just the Grenade launchers.... :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The cutoff doesn't cause any problems when shooting the rifle, I have several with the cutoff in place, no problems.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

If it proves to be too much of a task to replace you can always buy another bolt head, they just unscrew. There should be a number stamped in you existing head. You might want to check your existing headspace so if need be you can buy a new larger size head.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I think replacing the spring is the way to go. No. 1 MkIII* bolt heads were individually fitted to the rifle for proper headspace by the armorer. The No. 4 Mk1/2 rifles had numbered bolt heads to adjust the headspace. Use the bolt head that you have and get the part you need. I own three No. 1 MkIII* Enfields and they are fairly easy to work on, although some bolt parts require special tooling (like firing pin removal). Nice Enfield you have there. It is unusual to see a 1918 with the magazine cutoff.
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Can't help with the spring, but can offer a "maybe" on the cutoff being on a 1918. IIRC, 1918 rifles were made without, and after hostilities were over, some older rifles that had a cutoff originally had them put back on. Maybe the rifle you have had one installed after the fact? I've seen No.1 Mk III* rifles with the "*" struck out and the magazine cutoff re-installed, although they were likely Mk III to begin with, and the star stamped on when they had the cutoff taken out. Not confusing at all.
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
Uncle Nubbington

Post by Uncle Nubbington »

That ejector spring is not a hard piece to replace. I had a weak one on my first Enfield (compressed to the point where it just fell out). It's a common problem. Go to Numrich, get a replacement and install it. I managed to do it the first time with a small screwdriver. There is a nipple on one side. Get it to catch and push it into place. A vice clamp helps but you can do it on a tabletop.

I've read about folks using a pencil eraser as a field expedient solve to put pressure on the extractor claw but like I said. Just fix it.