Opened my 1st crate of 7.62X54r

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Opened my 1st crate of 7.62X54r

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Hangfire, you hold on target t0 a slow count of 60, then tip the chamber in a safe direction and eject the round.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
thunder1

Post by thunder1 »

that was also my thought, "hope no one ever needed ammo now!". I have to think somewhere some body, or bodies, met there maker because of the time required to tap a new spam can
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

[quote="zeebill"

If you are getting delayed fire like that your ammo is beyond a useable and reliable state and any accuracy you are getting at all is just a lot of luck. Go buy some decent ammo and see what it does. Use the stuff you have for components if reloading or just fun plinking that means nothing to you. Be real careful with your current ammo that you don't have any swelled primers as they can be dangerous to fire. They are swelled and it will lead to pierced primers or worse. Bill :o[/quote]

The delay that 1 or 2 of the rounds had was no more than a split second. The trigger would break and immediately after the round would go off. I always pick up and inspect all of my spent cartridges whether they are steel or brass especially on a new firearm. There was no notable difference in any of the rounds.

I appreciate the heads up and I'll certainly keep this in mind. Thank You !!
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

bunkysdad wrote:Sometimes the same type grease that these rifles were covered in during storage will get into the tightest spaces including the bolt and firing pin. Have you disassembled the bolt and cleaned out the firing pin and spring area? Also behind the extractor I have found gummy greasy buildups but removing the extractor from the bolt head can be tricky because the extractor will get bent easily. I bent one but it actually bent back without breaking. My firing pin and spring were so greasy that it caused the firing pin to drop slowly.
When I shoot my refurb 91-30's I have the opposite results you are getting. Mine shoot high at 100 yards so I pick a spot at the bottom of my target and shoot for groups. The best way I have found for shooting closest to point of aim is through hand loading my ammo. But I still love shooting surplus too. I like the feel of shooting old ammo in a old rifle. I am amazed at how well the ammo has been preserved all these years.
Any firearm I purchase whether new or used gets completely disassembled, inspected, cleaned and lubed before anything is loaded and fired in it especially my milsurps. The inside of the bolt and firing pin were caked with grease. The grease was not dried up at all but I cleaned it and relubed it. I also do a complete disassemble, clean, inspect and relube them all in January and February. It gives me something to do in these WONDERFUL NE OHIO WINTERS !!

I love the older firearms more than the more modern especially in rifles. I wouldn't say that I'm a collector but more of an accumulator of milsurps, RF trainers and bayonets. My ARs and Glocks are nice but wood and steel are much better.
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Gotta love it! The crates are awesome!
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

Gunowner99 wrote:Gotta love it! The crates are awesome!

It's pretty sweet and I'm VERY GLAD THE DEALER AT CAMP PERRY LET ME BORROW HIS DOLLY TO GET IT TO MY CAR !!
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Oh yeah. They are heavy for sure. Miss getting them from the sportsmans guide.
AverageJo

Opened my 1st crate of 7.62X54r

Post by AverageJo »

Chas100
The paper on the ammo can is a production tag. It has an operator number and the quality controller number and at the bottom it has an order number and the year.
The rest you can find in the link below

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID01.htm#Packaging

Last edited by AverageJo on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

AverageJo wrote:Chas100
The paper on the ammo can is a production tag. It has an operator number and the quality controller number and at the bottom it has an order number and the year.
The rest you can find in the link below

Thank You !!