Remington 1917 Mosin Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
LAR135-NE

Remington 1917 Mosin Nagant

Post by LAR135-NE »

I want to share some additional photos and information about the Remington 1917 Mosin Nagent I posted the other day in the new members area. It is a WWII brought back from Japan by my father in 1946, so it no doubt could tell and interesting story if it could talk. I want to find out all I can about this rifle so feel free to post observations and comments. I have not shot it, it doesn’t have a front sight and I would obviously want to be sure that the head space was ok prior to doing that anyway.

Marks on the stock:

Markings on the barrel:

Other side of the rifle:

The serial numbers on the bolt, butt plate and bottom of the magazine all have the same number 45343 however the safety knob (not sure of actual nomenclature) has 46343 but it almost looks like it was restruck, (I'll post a photo later the computer's giving issues.) Obviously these do not match the SN of the rifle, or at least of the barrel.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: Remington 1917 Mosin Nagant

Post by Miller Tyme »

Cool M91, looking forward to seeing the pics.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Very nice looking Remington! There were a couple of railroad cars filled with US made Mosins that were captured by the Japanese at the end of the first World War. Many of them became training rifles at the schools back in Japan. A lot of those were stamped in Kanji with the name of the school, or painted on the butt of the stock. Looks like there may have been more paint on the stock than what's currently there. Did your dad have any paperwork that went with the rifle? For the front sight, take a look at Liberty Tree Collectors (forum sponsor). They usually have some front sight blades. Okie (another great sponsor) makes a great set of gauges for checking headspace, well worth the money.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say I'm not the only person who wants more pictures!

I love these Japanese WWII bringback M91's. They aren't common at all, but I've seen enough that I hope someday I'll come across one too. Beautiful rifle!!!
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Yeah, more pictures. I agree. It looks like there was more potential characters painted on the buttstock at one time.
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

Thats a rare one for sure
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
LAR135-NE

Post by LAR135-NE »

Number on safety ( does it look to you like that once was a 5 or is a 5 that when stamped looks like it closed up?)

On bolt

Buttplate

Bottom of magazine

Markings in stock by trigger guard

Rear sight

Comments/theories/ etc welcome

Oh and I don't have more photos of the rifle stock, but that's the only number visible.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That's a good one!
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

That bolt looks like the 5 was overstruck with a 6 for some reason, but IMHO that it is original to the rifle
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
B24

Post by B24 »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: A matching 1917 Remington bring back!
JER

Post by JER »

Nice condition, all around. However, it's a barreled action from one rifle, and the rest of the parts from a different rifle, so whether or not the safety matches, seems a moot point.
LAR135-NE

Post by LAR135-NE »

JER wrote:Nice condition, all around. However, it's a barreled action from one rifle, and the rest of the parts from a different rifle, so whether or not the safety matches, seems a moot point.
That's what my conclusion was as well. I've never had the action out of the stock, I need to do that one of these days to see if there's anything there to tell me more about the rifle.

The stock is in great shape, very few dings anywhere to indicate it was used very much. The painted number is not only painted but that area appears to have been either carved in or pushed in, definitely lower and then filled with paint. There are no other such areas to be seen on the rifle stock to indicate there were additional numbers. There are some marks under the rear sight, I'm going to try to get a good photo of those today.

Thanks for the comments.
LAR135-NE

Post by LAR135-NE »

Marks on rear sight.

mark on stock

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I like it. The stock is a nice piece of walnut as it should be. No handguard. That is not uncommon. They were delicate on these and sure difficult to find these days, but a missing handguard has never bothered me on these. Very nice rifle.