New gun

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
easyrdr

New gun

Post by easyrdr »

I just got a 1941 Mosin Nagant but the serial numbers is way low 2839 all matching but right before the number it looks like a up-side-down vu it is a m91/59 can anyone tell me more about this gun
cj1964

Re: New gun

Post by cj1964 »

Serial numbers at that time were kind of like license plate numbers - two letters followed by (usually) up to four numerals. The pattern of progression is unknown so what you have may not be a low number after all. I believe the 91/59's retain their original serial numbers - not positive though.
I am positive that most 91/59's are in good shape and quite desirable these days. Post some pictures! :)
easyrdr

Post by easyrdr »

Just got it today just joined the group today and it is all new and not sure if I can tell I get approved
easyrdr

Post by easyrdr »

I love that smell too. Sorry I can not said that I was not there This is the first rifle and I think I picked a good one that all
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

If you bought a unmolested Mosin, I'd say you got a good one. If you bought a unmolested 91/59 I'd say you got a exceptional one. :) congrats and welcome to the forum.

looking for 8mm Mauser, 7.5 Swiss, and 7.62x54R brass
easyrdr

Post by easyrdr »

This is my new gun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
easyrdr

Post by easyrdr »

This is it do you like it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

41 Izhevsk, Nice. I agree, nice grain on the stock... I hope it's just glare causing the shine on old Shellac. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Cool, the markings do indicate this is a 91/59.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
B24

Post by B24 »

Rongo wrote:41 Izhevsk, Nice. I agree, nice grain on the stock... I hope it's just glare causing the shine on old Shellac. :wink:
I hope you are correct but it does look more like new poly than old shellac. Gotta love the 91/59s.
easyrdr

Post by easyrdr »

It's glare
easyrdr

Post by easyrdr »

The Guy a the gun shop I picked it up at said he give me $250 for it said he hates to see this one walk out the door
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I bet he would. At $250.00 he can add another $150.00 to it when he sells it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

easyrdr wrote:The Guy a the gun shop I picked it up at said he give me $250 for it said he hates to see this one walk out the door
$250 :chuckles: A regular refurb 91/30 is going for that. Nice looking gun.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

First things first, a shotgun is a "gun", what you have is a rifle, rifles have grooves cut into the bore to increase accuracy, a gun uses a smooth tube and is intended for shot loads at shorter distance. For a 91/59 that is a very good price today, for any Mosin carbine that is a very good price. Matching numbers are common on these, but like the Mosin refurbs they are all force matched during the build. 91/59's were made from parts and barreled receivers borrowed from 91/30 long rifles and cut down to M38 size. Because they were rifle and not carbine M38 barrels the diameter of the barrel is a little thicker and this aids accuracy. The build quality is also a bit better than the ordinary Soviet refurb, the 91/59 is known for having better adjusted triggers, headspace is rarely if ever an issue ( but check it anyway) and the overall fit and finish is higher quality.

and so you remember it-

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kU0XCVey_U[/bbvideo]
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:First things first, a shotgun is a "gun", what you have is a rifle, rifles have grooves cut into the bore to increase accuracy, a gun uses a smooth tube and is intended for shot loads at shorter distance. For a 91/59 that is a very good price today, for any Mosin carbine that is a very good price. Matching numbers are common on these, but like the Mosin refurbs they are all force matched during the build. 91/59's were made from parts and barreled receivers borrowed from 91/30 long rifles and cut down to M38 size. Because they were rifle and not carbine M38 barrels the diameter of the barrel is a little thicker and this aids accuracy. The build quality is also a bit better than the ordinary Soviet refurb, the 91/59 is known for having better adjusted triggers, headspace is rarely if ever an issue ( but check it anyway) and the overall fit and finish is higher quality.

and so you remember it-

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kU0XCVey_U[/bbvideo]
:pointup:
Brings back memories... This is exactly what happened when you called your rifle a gun... :lol: And there was always one shitbird that did it.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Great Reference from a Great Movie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
easyrdr

Post by easyrdr »

ok I get it. This is my rifle and this is my gun. That is funny Thanks junk yard dog
easyrdr

going shooting this weekend

Post by easyrdr »

I want the first shots at 200yd . What will be my drop and can I be accurate at this distance with this rifle at 200 yd and not with my gun