My 1st Mosin lots of questions

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
redeuce

Re: My 1st Mosin lots of questions

Post by redeuce »

Chas100 wrote:I've cleaned the cosmoline off a few Garands and Carbines but they were nothing like this. I'm pretty busy this weekend but I'll try and find some time to give it a quick mineral spirit bath to see the markings a little clearer. As I said I know very little about Mosins and the outdoor store I purchased it from knew less than I do. All they knew was they were hex receivers and also that they were all 1920's. They had around 50 when I first saw them close to 2 months ago and they were down to less than 10 when I purchased this one.

Thanks for all the info and I will try and get some better pics. I can't wait to get it to the range. I also have a lot of cleaning to do. They charged $40 more if you wanted them to clean the cosmoline from it but that's part of the fun of milsurps !!!

I also need to order some 7.62 ammo. Any suggestions for online ?

Thanks again and I'll try to remove the stock (if I can figure that out LOL) to see if there are any hidden marks or stamps. I can tear a Garand and Carbine down pretty easily now but this looks a little more complicated.

Thank You
Chas
If you can tear a garand down, you'll be amazed at the simplicity of the Mosins. Literally a few screws and a couple barrel bands. Watch jyd's tutorials, especially the one for disassembling the bolt. Also be very careful removing the bands. If you get in a hurry, it's easy to scratch the wood.
B24

Post by B24 »

Chas100 wrote:Thanks all !! I have to work today so I'm not going to have much, if any time to work on cleaning it. What type of finish were used on these ?

Thanks again for all the info !!
Red Russian shellac so keep the alcohol away from it. As mentioned earlier a light coat of lemon oil
is all that is needed.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Congratulations on your first Mosin! You got a nice ex-Dragoon. :vcool:

I've found it's easiest to wipe off as much of the grease with an old rag, fully disassemble the rifle, rinse the barreled action with boiling water while using gun scrubber or MS for the small parts in an old pail. The stock I usually wipe off the excess grease & give it a rub down with lemon oil & then wrap it in newspaper & black bag that stock for a day.

After the metal is clean I give it a liberal application of Break-Free CLP in all the nooks & crannies & then wipe off excess.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

I've finally had a chance to disassemble it and start cleaning. The Russians did not skimp any on the grease (cosmoline). The underside of the tang on the receiver is marked 1926.

A question on the trigger assembly. Should I totally disassemble it to clean the parts inside ?

I'm starting another thread on the stock. I cleaned the grease off of the stock and handguard but I also have it wrapped and soaking up some sun. I also purchased some lemon oil today.

Any info on the stock would be appreciated.

Thank You
Chas
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Grease is correct, Cosmoline is our thing, the product of a first world economy were cost is no object. The commies used good old axle grease, the cheap kind.

If you disassemble the trigger group be sure to keep track of the trigger pin, sometimes they just fall out. Do not attempt to remove the sear screw unless you have a screwdriver that properly fits the slot and a way to secure the receiver so it does not slip on you. The sear screw can require some force to remove. Do not go cheap on the screwdrivers, that crap they sell in the catalogs that use interchangeable bits they call "gunsmith" screwdriver kit is junk. Always use good quality screwdrivers, Sears craftsman brand screwdrivers are still USA made and good quality, otherwise chase down a Snap-On tools truck and buy a good set of various size large and small screwdrivers, slot fit as the old milsurps do not use Philips. Crap tools have buggered up more milsurps than combat use.

The Mosin is a simple rifle for simple soldiers who prior to military service had little to no experience with machinery. The Mosin is as far from the US M1 rifle as a bicycle is from a Harley, if you can handle the field strip of the M1 then the Mosin will not overly challenge you.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Grease is correct, Cosmoline is our thing, the product of a first world economy were cost is no object. The commies used good old axle grease, the cheap kind.

If you disassemble the trigger group be sure to keep track of the trigger pin, sometimes they just fall out. Do not attempt to remove the sear screw unless you have a screwdriver that properly fits the slot and a way to secure the receiver so it does not slip on you. The sear screw can require some force to remove. Do not go cheap on the screwdrivers, that crap they sell in the catalogs that use interchangeable bits they call "gunsmith" screwdriver kit is junk. Always use good quality screwdrivers, Sears craftsman brand screwdrivers are still USA made and good quality, otherwise chase down a Snap-On tools truck and buy a good set of various size large and small screwdrivers, slot fit as the old milsurps do not use Philips. Crap tools have buggered up more milsurps than combat use.

The Mosin is a simple rifle for simple soldiers who prior to military service had little to no experience with machinery. The Mosin is as far from the US M1 rifle as a bicycle is from a Harley, if you can handle the field strip of the M1 then the Mosin will not overly challenge you.
The grease seems to be easier to remove but pretty messy also. Tools are one thing I don't go cheap on unless it's something I need and plan on using once. There doesn't seem to be much grease inside the trigger assembly. I may just spray some gun scrubber or mineral spirits inside and blow dry with my compressor.

Thanks for the info
Chas
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

More ammo choices. http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/7.62x54R Go there and click the titles to get to the vendor's site. Below is an self updating chart of the top ten deals available.

qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I think you are talking about the magazine assembly, not the trigger group. You can disassemble this and clean it too. I totally disassemble this part for every rifle I have. There can be lots of goo in it that you can't see, especially in the groove the magazine door clip rides in. Various pieces are held together with pins. If they won't budge, don't force it - just clean as is. It's ok to carefully disassemble the entire rifle but you should leave the stock bolt alone and not remove it.
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

qz2026 wrote:I think you are talking about the magazine assembly, not the trigger group. You can disassemble this and clean it too. I totally disassemble this part for every rifle I have. There can be lots of goo in it that you can't see, especially in the groove the magazine door clip rides in. Various pieces are held together with pins. If they won't budge, don't force it - just clean as is. It's ok to carefully disassemble the entire rifle but you should leave the stock bolt alone and not remove it.

You are correct about the mag assembly. Sorry about that ! I have everything wrapped and soaking up some of this beautiful Ohio weather.

Uh-Oh on the bolt (I think). I have removed the entire bolt assembly, handle and all but I've not disassembled it yet. What would be the problem with removing the bolt ? I would think that would be one of the more important parts to give a good cleaning.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Chas100 wrote:
qz2026 wrote:I think you are talking about the magazine assembly, not the trigger group. You can disassemble this and clean it too. I totally disassemble this part for every rifle I have. There can be lots of goo in it that you can't see, especially in the groove the magazine door clip rides in. Various pieces are held together with pins. If they won't budge, don't force it - just clean as is. It's ok to carefully disassemble the entire rifle but you should leave the stock bolt alone and not remove it.

You are correct about the mag assembly. Sorry about that ! I have everything wrapped and soaking up some of this beautiful Ohio weather.

Uh-Oh on the bolt (I think). I have removed the entire bolt assembly, handle and all but I've not disassembled it yet. What would be the problem with removing the bolt ? I would think that would be one of the more important parts to give a good cleaning.
qz2026 is referring to the metal stock reinforcing bolt located in the finger grove of the stock.
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

It seems I still have a lot to learn about Mosin's. Tomorrow I'll be working in PA and close to Cabelas in Wheeling. I plan on stopping by to see what they have in 7.62X54r ammo. I have vacation scheduled for next week. A few personal days, a few days at Camp Perry for the Nationals and hopefully a few days at the range.

Is there any type of ammo I should stay away from ?

Thanks all for the information
Chas
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These days your choices are limited when it comes to ammo selection, most places you will be lucky to find one kind of 7.62x54r surplus. If it's not all corroded and nasty then use it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Bought another one yet??
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

NLMosin wrote:Bought another one yet??
LOL. Not yet BUT I've been looking and if I come across an M38 or M44 carbine at a good price it would probably follow me home. Most of the gun shows in the area don't start back up until September. The shows in the area had a lot of Mosins on their tables but I was normally looking for Garand and Carbine accessories.

The outdoor supply store that I got my first one (this one) still has around 10 of the hex receiver 91/30's left but I think their sale of $249 is over and back to $299. If I could, I'd kick my own behind for not purchasing a few Mosins when there were racks full of them for under $100.
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:These days your choices are limited when it comes to ammo selection, most places you will be lucky to find one kind of 7.62x54r surplus. If it's not all corroded and nasty then use it.
I purchased a box (20) today of Tula for $13.99. I'm going to stop in Cabelas tomorrow to see what they have. I don't think $13.99 was a good price but that was all they had. I'm hoping Cabelas has some bulk preferable sealed cans.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The gundeals post that Weldonhunter put up above will get you the best price on ammo. It is not some kind of scam. It just shows who has what at what price.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

You won't find any at Cabellas in Wheeling. If you're from the area, go to the next CADA gun show in St. Charles.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Never mind, lol. You're in PA. not IL.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good price? Depends, I would have a stroke if I had to pay $14 for 20 rounds of 7.62x54, but then I am a guy who clearly recalls paying .10 a round for some of this stuff, and lets say I have a good supply of it on hand. I believe that Tula stuff is recent commercial manufacture over there in Russia, I have trust issues with new ammo that looks exactly like the commie era surplus stuff. I treat any ammo that does not come from the big three, Remington, Winchester, Federal, as if it has corrosive primers and I clean the weapon accordingly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

redeuce wrote:Never mind, lol. You're in PA. not IL.
I'm actually in NE Ohio but I'm in sales and travel anywhere from Cleveland to Pittsburgh and all places in between !!