My 1st Mosin lots of questions

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Chas100

My 1st Mosin lots of questions

Post by Chas100 »

This is my 1st Mosin and I have a lot of questions !! I'm new to Mosins but not milsurps. I have a few M1 Garands, Carbines, SKS and also military trainers but very little knowledge of Mosins. One of the large family owned outdoor shops I frequent purchased a few crates of Russian 91/30's. It came with a sling, 2 ammo pouches, oiler and a cleaning kit in a pouch. The Mosin, oiler and parts in the cleaning kit are very heavily covered in cosmoline. It is a Century import.

Is there anyway to date them ? I've looked around the net and I can't find a sight to date it with the SN.

Is there anything you see that is unique on this Mosin other than a hex receiver ?

Is there something for me to look for or get a pic of that's not in any of these pics ?

I would greatly appreciate any info on this.

Thank You for any info
Chas
awalker1829

Re: My 1st Mosin lots of questions

Post by awalker1829 »

The stock appears to be one of the older pre-WWII ones as it has the sling escutcheons with screw fasteners. Later ones were pressed in and when things got real bad, the escutcheons were omitted entirely.
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

spongemonkey wrote:If you look at the date number above the serial number on the barrel shank, it will tell you the date of the barrel. To get the date of the reciever, remove it from the stock and look at the underside of the reciver tang in the area of the rear screw hole. Many times this area is stamped with a date.
It's so heavily covered in Cosmo it's hard to make anything out. Does the SN have anything to do with the date ?

Thanks for the info !!
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

this is a great time of the year to remove cosmoline...wrap that sucker in several layers of newspaper and set it outside in the sun...it will soak right into the paper...change it out each day until it is all gone...2-3 days....one friend wrapped his and put in the back window of his car and went to work...3 days it was clean with minor touch-up needed....have fun !!!!!
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

redeuce

Post by redeuce »

I'm on my phone, so I might be wrong.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

That's a curious rifle. Izhevsk arsenal by the way. CAI moved to Georgia in late 2000. Started using that particular stamp about 2002. Looks very similar to some batches they offered not long after that, all cosmoed up. I could be way off base, but I think that crate has been here quite a while. I'm on my phone, so I can't see for shit.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

The red box is around the barrel manufacture date, and it looks to be 1926 or 1925 to my eyes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

I've cleaned the cosmoline off a few Garands and Carbines but they were nothing like this. I'm pretty busy this weekend but I'll try and find some time to give it a quick mineral spirit bath to see the markings a little clearer. As I said I know very little about Mosins and the outdoor store I purchased it from knew less than I do. All they knew was they were hex receivers and also that they were all 1920's. They had around 50 when I first saw them close to 2 months ago and they were down to less than 10 when I purchased this one.

Thanks for all the info and I will try and get some better pics. I can't wait to get it to the range. I also have a lot of cleaning to do. They charged $40 more if you wanted them to clean the cosmoline from it but that's part of the fun of milsurps !!!

I also need to order some 7.62 ammo. Any suggestions for online ?

Thanks again and I'll try to remove the stock (if I can figure that out LOL) to see if there are any hidden marks or stamps. I can tear a Garand and Carbine down pretty easily now but this looks a little more complicated.

Thank You
Chas
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Look at the Mosin Nagant Information Pages on this site. About everything a beginner needs to know is listed there. Just scan through the links on the left of the page. Start in the bottom section. As you study this, you will learn more of this rifle.

I can't tell but it appears to be a 1923-1926 Izhevsk (city where manufactured). In all likelihood, this rifle is also an ex Dragoon. What is a Dragoon? See the information pages :lol: The rifle is also in the appropriate pre war stock.

Take an old rag and wipe off as much of the grease (yes grease... the commies didn't have cosmoline) before you start with the mineral spirits. You will find that the mineral spirits don't remove all traces on the metal. If after using the mineral spirits, you wet a patch with Hoppes, more will come off. The mineral spirits are excellent for removing much of the grease on the stock - inside and out. First, as before, wipe off the excess before applying the mineral spirts - just not as messy... The MS will literally melt the grease and not harm the metal or wood finish.

Good luck and Contrats on a nice rifle :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

You can also use WD-40 and an old toothbrush, makes the grease into a thick oil you can wipe off. For ammo go to Wikiarms, it will give you the company, ammo type and price. Be certain not to shoot that til you have ALL the grease out of the chamber inside, where the bolt lugs luck in and the cartridge sits and everywhere else, no grease at all. Start out with 6 o'clock aim on target.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Looks like a nice one. I like the fact it has the early pre-war stock. You can tell be the screws in the sling slot. A post war will have no screws. Have fun cleaning it up. Cleaning them is half the fun!
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Looks like another of the ones that was held back by the distributor til the prices came up. These exdragoons were 150 not long ago, this batch gets priced closer to 300 when they hit the shelves now. Too rich for my blood unless they are a real oddball.

You have a decent looking one. Personally I'd try the black garbage bag trick before getting chemicals involved.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

You got yourself a very nice first Mosin-Nagant. Now get it clean and get it to the range and let us know how it shoots. :)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

The date on the barrel shank is 1926 r.

There are also a few very small markings on the stock. With my Garand and Carbine stocks I very careful use a heat gun to remove the cosmoline then a wash down with raw linseed oil. Is this something that would be recommend for a Mosin stock or would I be better off using a boiled linseed oil or something totally different ?
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

racerguy00 wrote:Looks like another of the ones that was held back by the distributor til the prices came up. These exdragoons were 150 not long ago, this batch gets priced closer to 300 when they hit the shelves now. Too rich for my blood unless they are a real oddball.

You have a decent looking one. Personally I'd try the black garbage bag trick before getting chemicals involved.

Is there anything I should look for to see if it's an exDragoon ?

It would take both hands and feet to count the amount of times I scanned the racks of under $100 Mosins at Cabelas and never walked out with one. Too much procrastination and too little knowledge :bonk:

I've never tried the garbage bag trick yet but I've never had a milsurp stock with this much cosmoline or grease on it. I usually use a heat gun very careful so as not to burn the wood. I may just give it a try on this one.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Heat can bubble the finish on these and linseed oil is frowned upon here because that wasn't an original finish for a refurb. The date and arsenal confirms that it's an exdragoon.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
B24

Post by B24 »

You also need to take it out of the stock to clean it. Nice first Mosin and welcome to the board you will
find a wealth of info here.
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

Thanks all !! I have to work today so I'm not going to have much, if any time to work on cleaning it. What type of finish were used on these ?

Thanks again for all the info !!
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

After you clean it,you can wipe the stock with Lemon Oil if you wish.
One of our sponsors,OKIE ,has head space gauges..you should check it before firing.
Welcome aboard.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi