Finding origin of VKT M-91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tredegar

Re: Finding origin of VKT M-91

Post by Tredegar »

The pin is flush in cocked position. I believe it was set by by flushing the back end of pin in cocking piece. I will try to set pin length with field pin gauge. I wont change anything else. It will be a week before I get to the range to test fire.
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

Four turns and it passes gauge. I will keep my Finnish Blonde.
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

Tredegar wrote:Four turns and it passes gauge. I will keep my Finnish Blonde.
:thumbsup: Since you're keeping her, lets see some pics.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

I finally had a chance to test fire Finnish Blonde. Five rounds of Red Army fired without problems. BUT She ejected the cases easy, the easiest ejecting Mosin I have owned. :)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

A M91 is a nice rifle to have. I can't imagine returning it because a 20.00 part (or less) might have been needed. Glad it worked out. [emoji1]
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

steelbuttplate wrote:The pin protrusion and headspace are two different things, one doesn't affect the other. If your saying the pin is flush just by taking the bolt out of the gun, that's normal. In general, if the screw slot on the back of the firing pin/cocking knob is flush, it's usually good. Don't try to change your headspace.......period. Certainly don't try it by adjusting the firing pin.
First off changing the bolt head to adjust the head space does change the pin protrusion slightly. so one does effect the other.

To set the pin protrusion you should be removing the bolt from the rifle and removing the tension from the spring and decocking it. Then setting the firing pin with the gauge no go tool. I believe JYD has a video somewhere to show you how. Never use the slot on the firing pin as an adjustment slot especially if the spring is under tension from the bolt being cocked.

Always set or check your headspace and change it if it is necessary. It is not possible to change headspace with the firing pin. It is however possible to change pin protrusion when you change headspace by changing the bolt head.

If you want a rough idea of the proper setting of firing pin protrusion and don't have the proper go and no go gauge present. Setting the firing pin flush with the rear of the cocking piece usually will get you close but is not always right!!!! Using the gauge will for sure set you on the right adjustment and the difference can be a pierced primer in your face or maybe even worse. Bill :roll: