Finding origin of VKT M-91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tredegar

Finding origin of VKT M-91

Post by Tredegar »

I have found a Finnish VKT M-91 dated 1941. The only clue I can find to it's previous history is a small circular mark on underside of tang. It may be a Chatellerault mark. What else do I look for?
Steve The Pirate

Re: Finding origin of VKT M-91

Post by Steve The Pirate »

are the tang marking's look like any of these. Did you buy it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

Had to tell, looks like the circle c. Finnish was cleaned off wood almost bare , cleaning rod gone, Finnish leather sling, un bubbaed. Did buy.
Steve The Pirate

Take some pics. of her.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

The stock looks blonde now. Should I name her Blonde, in Finnish?
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The VKT stock should have no finish to speak of. All mine have an oil type finish as shown here.
1944 VKT 5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

That is close to mine.
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

Front barrel band needs screw. Who sells them now?
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

They used a couple different bands, need pictures. Depending on the band you may be in store for a long search. You might be better off replacing the band with the screw.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

Just checked the head space. It failed. Will not close on G gauge. Do I return it?
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Tredegar wrote:Just checked the head space. It failed. Will not close on G gauge. Do I return it?
Not necessarily. You can try a different bolt head and see if that'll work. I had one which failed and after going through a couple different bolt heads, found one that would pass the check just fine. It's a good shooter and hasn't given me any problems.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

Where do I get a bolthead?
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

I may just return rifle for refund.
Steve The Pirate

Have you cleaned the chamber and the bolt assembly. I've had problems before. I cleaned out the chamber and bolt a second time and amd that seemed to do the trick . You can pick up a bolt head from Liberty tree, flea bay or gunbroker and from one of the members here if they have a extra one to part with. Don't give up yet.
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

Will try electric brass brush.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The go gage won't tell you much, it might just have tight headspace. Will it chamber a round? That is more important than the go gage. You do not want it to close on the no-go or field gage.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

It chambers dummy round. Will it be safe to chamber live one?
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Sure, keep it pointed in a safe direction and keep your finger off the trigger.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

It chambered Tula commercial, a Remington commercial and a surplus silver tip. I checked pin protusion, it is almost flush with bolt face. Will have to screw it down to match with pin protusion gauge. Will changing pin length affect head space?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The pin protrusion and headspace are two different things, one doesn't affect the other. If your saying the pin is flush just by taking the bolt out of the gun, that's normal. In general, if the screw slot on the back of the firing pin/cocking knob is flush, it's usually good. Don't try to change your headspace.......period. Certainly don't try it by adjusting the firing pin.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"