Gun show find....Mossberg 500

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Sonny

Gun show find....Mossberg 500

Post by Sonny »

Picked this baby up this afternoon at a gun show.

Mossberg 500 pump 12 gauge in camo pattern...Brand new in box...love it.. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gun show find....Mossberg 500

Post by Rongo »

Mossberg 500... I honestly prefer them over the 870. I suppose it helps in that's what I grew up with.

Nice find! :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
entropy

Post by entropy »

I subverted myself in trying to convert Rongo to the 870 by giving him two 500 receivers to build parts guns on. :facepalm1:

Oh, well, it's not like I'm a '870 or nothing' fanatic......I also own an Ithaca 37. And really, the only fault I can find with the 500 is the cheap plastic safety switch. I don't know how many of them I've fixed over the years. Sonny, get the aluminum or steel switch set, you'll be glad you did, and they are easy to put in.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I keep that safety catch in stock because I do bust them with regularity. I have a lot of Mossbergs, 12's, 16, 410, short barrel, bird guns, military 590, even had a stainless one once before the plating started to bubble off the receiver, I dumped that one in a hurry. Best pump shotgun I own is the Winchester Model 1897 trenchgun, the real thing.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Wow, nice looking 500. You're going to be Simo Hayha to the turkey world. I love Mossberg 500s. Reliable, super easy to work on. I liked my 870, but a Joe Shmo at home can almost rebuild an entire 500 with basic tools. I have kinda sorta done it twice. I am digging that camo finish.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

entropy wrote:I subverted myself in trying to convert Rongo to the 870 by giving him two 500 receivers to build parts guns on. :facepalm1:

Oh, well, it's not like I'm a '870 or nothing' fanatic......I also own an Ithaca 37. And really, the only fault I can find with the 500 is the cheap plastic safety switch. I don't know how many of them I've fixed over the years. Sonny, get the aluminum or steel switch set, you'll be glad you did, and they are easy to put in.
I Love those 2 Mossberg 500 builds. :mrgreen:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mossberg 500's sold well here for many years. Shotgun only hunting, so the typical FNG hunter buys a new 500, uses it once, stashes it away and 10-20 years later I buy it from them for half what they paid new. I have done this over and over again.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt