classicfirearms new batch not refurbished

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tailgunner67

Re: classicfirearms new batch not refurbished

Post by tailgunner67 »

I was at my local FFL picking up my newest addition and he told me some of his customers had bought some Mosins recently from Classic and none of them were happy with what they got. Makes me question buying anything from them.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's because they were expecting some pretty Soviet refurb and they got an issued rifle instead. Back in the day that was what all milsurps were, issued and you got them in the exact condition as it was when the last soldier tossed it on a pile. Most of the time they were encased inside a block of grease. Pat Burns was trying to sell that lot of Romanian used rifles for over 20 years before they found a sucker to buy the bunch of them. Burns was cherrypicking the pile and listing them on GB were I bought a dozen or more of them around ten years back. Cool stock repairs on many of them. I have my reasons for not dealing with the dealer in question, nothing at all to do with the issued 91/30's.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
B24

Post by B24 »

I perfer the been there done it look over the refurbs. My only firearm purchase from Classic was my first Mosin a 28 Tula hex refurb. It is a nice gun and the only complaint was the packing. The box was trashed but the gun was unscathed. I guess
I got lucky.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You did because that is exactly what they did to me, only the stocks on two 91/30 refurbs were scratched. Both rifles were special select " rifles of the day" and I was fobbed off on a flunky who blamed it on the FNG in shipping as if they were a company the size of Amazon with 100 anonymous people packing box's. The chrome Mosins burned their bridges with me, that was the end.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Amazing, new owners, nearly a decade in time later and they still haven't got their shit together.
Theodore Roosevelt
captsupercow

Post by captsupercow »

Well, sheesh, stop making me feel worse about my first mosin!
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

captsupercow wrote:Well, sheesh, stop making me feel worse about my first mosin!
Don't panic until you get it. Everyone that's been in the game a while knows the history on these. There were good ones and bad ones. Not as pretty as the refurbs, but some good dates were mixed in. Biggest issue is the pricing. Should be called and priced as b grade. With some of the upgrade options, too expensive for a crapshoot. You'll know as soon as you put your hands on it if it's a keeper or a stinker.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

captsupercow wrote:Well, sheesh, stop making me feel worse about my first mosin!
No matter what is in that box when it arrives what you are guaranteed to get is a real piece of history. Milsurps are all pieces of history and if they will or will not shoot well is immaterial, that's not what they are sold to do. Nobody selling these grantees you a rifle that will shoot well, what they do is attach all sorts of warnings about the bad things that could happen if you shoot it and absolving themselves of any responsibility should you shoot it. You want a rifle to shoot tiny little groups on a bit of paper 500 yards away then a commercial sporter new out of the box is what you want. If you want a real relic of history that was a part of the Cold War, and WW2 before that then you buy one of these Mosins.
Theodore Roosevelt
vandeda

Post by vandeda »

Finally got my Mosin from post #28 out at the range. Up to this point, I've shot almost exclusively with a scope, so I was pretty pleased with my results using an open sight. It shot better than I was expecting. With more practice, my guess is I could tighten up that grouping quite a bit.

50 yds:
50yds.jpg
100 yds:
100yds.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not just all practice, ammunition plays a role as well. Point of impact has been known to tighten up or loosen depending on what variety of surplus ammo you shoot, or if you are cooking up your own loads.
Theodore Roosevelt
vandeda

Post by vandeda »

Very true, and I was just used inexpensive steel Tulammo as that what was available locally on short order. Time (and rounds) will tell.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The first MN I ever saw and shot was one of these. My buddy's FIL bought one at a yardsale for $25 and gave it to my buddy. He found some ammo, and we went to my family's farm to shoot it. I made him shoot it first on the other side of the truck in case it blew up and at least I would be safe to drive him to the hospital. There was no problem of course.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

My Aztec non refurb was very nice. I picked it up at local dealer. If in doubt by local.
oldarmyguy65

Post by oldarmyguy65 »

Pretty pleased with open sights. I would like to know what setting you used on the rear sight to get such a tight group at 50 yards. My rear sight won't set lower than 100 meters (109 yards). I have tried using a sight picture where the tip of the front blade pin is in the bottom of "V" in the rear sight. Still not getting a good group. I do get a very good group at 100 meters however, with the sight picture such that the front blade pin is even with the top of the "V" I have been using newly manufactured Partizan ammunition.
thughes

Post by thughes »

oldarmyguy65 wrote:Pretty pleased with open sights. I would like to know what setting you used on the rear sight to get such a tight group at 50 yards. My rear sight won't set lower than 100 meters (109 yards). I have tried using a sight picture where the tip of the front blade pin is in the bottom of "V" in the rear sight. Still not getting a good group. I do get a very good group at 100 meters however, with the sight picture such that the front blade pin is even with the top of the "V" I have been using newly manufactured Partizan ammunition.
fast forward to 3:35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2wQUPGouoQ