"R" after date on Barrel shank

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MosinNagant1954

"R" after date on Barrel shank

Post by MosinNagant1954 »

What does the "R" signify after immediately after and next to the date? I don't see it on all Mosins, My 39 doesn't have it. Thought I read it somewhere but can't find it again.

Roge
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: "R" after date on Barrel shank

Post by Longcolt44 »

The "R" stands for, "year".
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

The Russian "r" translates to "g" in English. I read somewhere that this is an abbreviation for God (бог) as in "year of our lord". But, as Longcolt indicated, the meaning is "year". I'll try and verify that with a friend of mine from Ukraine. Your M-39 is a Finnish manufactured rifle, that only contains a Russian receiver and Russian internals, with a Finn barrel which explains why there is no "r" after the date.
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

qz2026 wrote:The Russian "r" translates to "g" in English. I read somewhere that this is an abbreviation for God (бог) as in "year of our lord". But, as Longcolt indicated, the meaning is "year". I'll try and verify that with a friend of mine from Ukraine. Your M-39 is a Finnish manufactured rifle, that only contains a Russian receiver and Russian internals, with a Finn barrel which explains why there is no "r" after the date.
Yes - that is a cyrillic "g" which is an abbreviation for year (god). In Russian, numbers are adjectives and require a noun for context and pronunciation.
MosinNagant1954

Post by MosinNagant1954 »

Thanks Guys !