The Great Gun Guru Smiled on this unworthy subject...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SA1911a1

The Great Gun Guru Smiled on this unworthy subject...

Post by SA1911a1 »

I got up early this morning, drank a few cups, then fixed my wife breakfast. We kicked around what we were going to do today and I suggested we go to Alabama "antiquing." It is something we both enjoy. On the way by the fairgrounds in LA I saw a sign, "Gun Show Today." I whipped in there with only about ten bucks in my pocket, paid seven to enter, just looking, of course. I started off on the right side running the isles, and made it to the left side without seeing anything of any interest. This show should be called a knife and gun show. Every redneck with a grinder and a deer horn thinks they are a world class knife smith.

Anyway, in the middle of the last row, I saw something to at least handle. A pretty nice, pre-war, round receiver Mosin for $150.00. I figured I would drop some plastic on it on the way out. One table further, I found these two. Four fifty, out the door for both. Praise be the ATM machine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Fledge

Re: The Great Gun Guru Smiled on this unworthy subject...

Post by Fledge »

Excellent! Glad it went to a good home
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Sweet deal, congrats! :shock: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice! the buttstock on the one looks almost burned, is it showing signs of char?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Thanks.

The Finned Westinghouse is very interesting. It is in a unmodified stock, original matching bolt and butt-plate. It looks like the only things the Finns changed was the magazine and adding the [SA] stamp. The discoloration on the base of the stock is scorched finish. The wood is not charred but the finish sure appears to be. This one must have been a capture quickly returned to service. It has a very small import mark on the barrel and a subtle serial added to the receiver. (the same serial as the barrel)

The Remington is not import marked, it is still in a Remington stock, with the flaming bomb, and has an all Remington bolt, but it is not matching. The magazine is Imperial Izhevsk and the butt-plate is Imperial Tula. It must have been an early import to miss the import markings. The bluing on the metal is near perfect. Some Bubba joker bent the Remington bolt, something I intend to reverse tomorrow.

Both rifle must have come from the same asshole who didn't know about cleaning a rifle. The bores were like looking into a coal mine. Both cleaned up reasonably well and will improve with shooting.

After money changed hands, the seller told me he had been given the Remington at a gun show many years ago because another seller couldn't get rid of it...
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

You scored on them... Nice. :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Good deals on both :thumbsup: I really like that Remington. :vcool: :vcool:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

:chuckles:
I'm calling the cops. :thumbsup: :Drool1:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Nice! the buttstock on the one looks almost burned, is it showing signs of char?
You know, Jim, that is what I thought, but the closer I look, the more it looks like paint, the same ass who bent the bolt may have applied paint as well, trying to make it some kind of Ninja black ops assault weapon. I will think on it a while, but I might take some acetone to the black and see if it comes off.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Congratulations, that's quite a lot of Mosin for 450. Very cool!
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

:thumbsup: Nice finds indeed !
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Glad you rescued them.

Post by WWW »

The damned thievery around here is making me jealous.

Nice score! :thumbsup:
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Looked at these two rifles Saturday, the one with the black paint (I debated how hard it would be to clean it up, the rest of the stock was black at some time, but someone started to clean it up) you can still see the paint in the finger groove on the one side and paint on the cross bolt. The other one with the bent bolt, I was tempted, but knew I would have to replace the bolt. With my eyes and the lighting I didn't even notice the Finnish D stamp, if I had I would have grabbed it. I guess my loss was your gain!

Then again my pregnant daughter and her husband came with us, and every 5 minutes she was saying I got to use the bathroom or I am hungry, so didn't do my normal 3 or 4 rounds through the show, only did 1 and 1/2 before she started whining. So we had to leave to so we could go feed her. Fed her, went antiquing then spent an hour looking at baby clothes, spent more time looking a that then I got to spend at the gun-show! :beek:

Saturday he had these two for $250.00 ea, and about 4 or 5 M91/30's for $150.00 ea.

Found a beat-up 1863 P1853 Snider-Enfield a few rows over that came home with me.
Last edited by ffuries on Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Getting deals like this must be the Gunshow Loophole that the Democrats want to stop.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
B24

Post by B24 »

Good deal and two great rifles to own but BrianTheBrit gets my vote for deal of the week.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Still some good deals out there at the gun shows. Nice!!!
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

A deal or a steal...they appear to have went to a good home either way.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Here is my attempt to de-bubba 'da Bubba. The paint was cheap black paint applied over what must have been an oily stock. A little chemical magic and a high-pressure water hose and the paint is gone.

I straightened the Remington bolt. My work was not perfect, but I wasn't going to repeat the job. Leave well enough alone.

They both look a lot more fit now.

After nap time, I might just have to go shoot some paper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum