Adjusting M39 front sight

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
aussimmo2015

Adjusting M39 front sight

Post by aussimmo2015 »

hey everyone

I have an M39 that is shooting to the right of POA at all distances. Looking at group placement on targets at 100m I'm gonna say she is about 2.0-2.5 MOA off.

Does anyone have any advice for adjusting the front sight to remedy this situation i.e. do's and dont's tips for getting it right first etc. I am currently undertaking the research to do this but any advice from the experienced hands on this forum is extremely welcome.

Cheers :thumbsup:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Adjusting M39 front sight

Post by Longcolt44 »

There is no hard and fast rule, just use the sight adjusting screws to sneak up on it. For 2"over 100 yards it won't be much. Be sure you are not pulling the rifle to the right when pulling the trigger.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Yea it's not off much. Try moving it to the right 1/2 the width of the sight blade for starters, You have two lines scored on the front of the sight, one on the base and one on the sight, that should be lined up. If the sight mark is slightly left just line the two up and try it. :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
joelvca

Post by joelvca »

I have a vague recollection that each "dot" of windage adjustment screw represents 5cm (very close to 2.0") adjustment at 300m, or about 0.6MOA, but I don't have time to hunt down a reference right now to check that.

Regards,
Joel