WZ-48 .22LR Military Trainer

Rim Fire Firearms
sharpie443

WZ-48 .22LR Military Trainer

Post by sharpie443 »

I had seen these rifles around at gun shows and listed online but I never got around to picking one up. I have so many .22 rifles it's hard for me to justify buying another one. Yet somehow I always end up with another one like an addict that can't kick the habit. So now i have a WZ-48.

The first thing i noticed was that it was surprisingly heavy. It was made to feel like a Mosin nagant m44 (Although it looks like an M38) and in terms of weight it's nearly spot on. Saying that it's over built for a .22Lr is a massive understatement. it weighs 8.4 pounds and receiver looks almost like it was meant to fire 7.62x54R. So needless to say this is not going to be your favorite rifle to carry around the woods hunting small game.

However I found that that weight made it a very nice rifle to shoot and seemed to help accuracy. There is basically no recoil at all, the trigger is surprisingly good and it has the same sights as the M44. That all makes for a very fun and accurate target rifle. It's great for new shooters and just a blast to take to the range.

The sights are good as I said but it's very odd having a .22LR with high powered rifle sights. The front post is a bit large and it would be easier with a finer post but it works. Other than that it's an easy rifle to get use to.

I found that this rifle doesn't seem to like high velocity ammo. It didn't like the CCI mini mags and seemed to shoot much better with standard velocity Ammo. I would like to get some match ammo next time I have a chance and see what i can do with it.

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkTzbK-rhg[/bbvideo]
BuckeyeSgt

Re: WZ-48 .22LR Military Trainer

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

They are pretty cool .22 rifles. It was the first .22 my son ever shot. Stumbled upon a Wz31 to go along with it.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Our local chain of stores got some in about 6-8 months ago. Some a bit rusty. But most good. I got them to lower the price a bit. So I got 3. They didn't last long. 4 stores had them for about a week. Seems like you never see them. Than BAM, you see a bunch.
Thanks for the post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Sounds like the Australian Enfield trainer I have, it's just the regular No1 MKIII rifle with a bull barrel and .22 bolt head. Heavier than the actual service .303
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt