home..... home on the range............

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jimpierce7

home..... home on the range............

Post by jimpierce7 »

Well, maybe not that comfy. But I sure do like it there. Shame on me. I did it. And I'm glad I did it. It was fun!! HA!

I opened my can of Hungarian heavy ball. Maybe I need to be a better shooter? Or I'm more patient with change? I don't know. Nothing got stuck either and that makes a huge difference. I hate it when the case won't eject.
The '43 91/30 didn't like it so much and shot much better with the Tula ammo. Same with the M44. But that can be me. I forget to remember I really have to hang on to the M44 when I shoot it. lol
The '40 M91 VKT and my M39 both do like it.
It almost seems like there is a delay or something when the pin hits the primer. :? I can hear it slide forward and hit...... which is different from other rounds. Maybe I'm not explaining it so good. I know its heavier and a higher velocity round (?) as I recall. It doesn't flame out the M44 either. But one thing is for sure, they are the coolest looking round!!
Most of my shooting was at the steel. I'm pretty happy with my shooting with the rifles. With the Finns I have no problem hitting 4 and even 2 inch steel from 100 yards. Next trip to the range will be the 200 yard area.

today's weapons...

the range is green and the hills are alive with the sound of............. gunfire!! HA!

so pretty and new...... 10" with a 5" circle to sight on.

old red, my 91/30

1940 M91 VKT

M44 with heavy ball

M39 first three rounds were kind of crazy.

not so pretty now are ya!!

first round with my 9mm

second round 9mm

the pistol range.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: home..... home on the range............

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not bad shooting, you have a car service to go fetch the targets right?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Not bad shooting, you have a car service to go fetch the targets right?

only on the 200 yard range...............
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They should put a hot dog stand at the half way mark, 200 yards is a long trip.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

yes sir, it is!!
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I rarely shoot at my 100 yard target here on my backyard range, it's downhill...both ways.

Had my daughter's boyfriend here last weekend, he needed to sight in a red dot on his AR and while I'm certain that at some point I told him the swinging target was for .22 only I guess he assumed that meant .223...time to do some welding as it's only 1/4" mild steel.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Another fun day. In my shooting of light and heavy ball the long rifles seem to like the heavy and the carbines like the light.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Longcolt44 wrote:Another fun day. In my shooting of light and heavy ball the long rifles seem to like the heavy and the carbines like the light.
Agreed! Except sometimes? No I can not explain why! :lol: Bill
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

Nice range!
Went out the other day with some friends. One of which had sold me his M91/30 to raise $ for a new ar15. He's got that new gun all pimped out with a scope, flashlight, red dot, etc. He was all over the place with that thing- I'm sure he its a fine rig, he just doesn't have it set right. I just kept slowly and surely plugging away 1 shot at a time with the Mosins and A BIG SMILE ON MY FACE!
Here's a shot of our range, its a little more rustic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfesiJJ8KKk
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Ahhhh, look at all the green :shock: I won't see that until May, at least! Good shooting. I've heard the heavy ball works better in the M-39's but have never used it. I've got a couple of spam cans around somewhere but haven't opened them up yet. Stuff is like hen's teeth to find and don't want to use it up. :thumbsup:
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

My tree farmer turned cattle farmer just clear cut about 80 acres. I'm gonna get with him soon to see if he'll let me set up a shooting hut across the 'lower 40'. He and all his sons and grandsons will shoot every other weekend when the weather is nice. If he'll allow me to do, we should be able to stretch out about 300+ yards.

Other than that, I've got an 80 yard lane in the woods beside my house. Too close for any exploding targets. I'm jealous of y'all with nice ranges.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I just shoot in the driveway of the house to check the mechanics of everything. Then late at the range to see how they shoot for accuracy. No where is good when the temps are -8 like they were this AM. Bill
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I'm in awe of the guys with home shooting ranges. How cool would it be to step out of the house and make noise. Also jealous of the guys like Jim who can shoot now. It'll be a while up here...
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

My, ex-sister in law and her husband live in northern Michigan and he can shoot right off his back patio.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I could shoot off my back patio at least once. But the neighbors probably would not like it and I would surely get a visit from the local PD. Every time I look out the window at the white shit falling from the sky today the more I wish I was at your local range.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

One time soon, I'm going to have to try the one up off Skyline Blvd. I don't believe they allow the steel, or have a 200 yard range, but I bet it is a really nice range. Not to mention they sell ammo for those time one gets carried away...........
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Nice range!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

If the range on Skyline is the Palo Alto Rod and Gun you are going to need a nice 3 piece suit to shoot in. Can you learn to shoot a Mosin with your pinkey finger out?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Longcolt44 wrote:If the range on Skyline is the Palo Alto Rod and Gun you are going to need a nice 3 piece suit to shoot in. Can you learn to shoot a Mosin with your pinkey finger out?

bwahahaha!!! I think that is it. Los Altos rod and gun............ and if that's the case, I really won't fit in there!!
TrippinBilly

Re: RE: Re: home..... home on the range............

Post by TrippinBilly »

jimpierce7 wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:If the range on Skyline is the Palo Alto Rod and Gun you are going to need a nice 3 piece suit to shoot in. Can you learn to shoot a Mosin with your pinkey finger out?

bwahahaha!!! I think that is it. Los Altos rod and gun............ and if that's the case, I really won't fit in there!!
Naw, it's nice up there. They even let riff raff like me in. It's where I typically go to shoot outdoors and the range up there is beautiful, my favorite. No 200 yard range but they have skeet machines at the end. The view is incredible while blowing away clay pigeons.