Bolt Opened or Bolt Left Closed?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rick54R

Bolt Opened or Bolt Left Closed?

Post by rick54R »

Just wondering what is best. I have a good friend who manages a local Military Museum. I noticed one day many of the displayed bolt action rifles had the bolts open.
I asked the reason for this, his reply....allows air to circulate and moisture to be displaced.
Now, that got me to thinking.
Should I follow suit with my Mosin Nagants.
Any ideas as to if one should do this or not.
But, let me add this as well, most of my collection hangs on racks mounted to walls.
Remiel

Re: Bolt Opened or Bolt Left Closed?

Post by Remiel »

Personally i take my bolts out and de-cock them to fit better in my safe, since each is numbered to a specific rifle its no problem for me, I only one one non-matching 91/30 so I down t worry about mixed bolts
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

I got about fifty hanging on wall racks year round, bolts closed. They get a wipe down with oily rag and oil patch thru the bore every six months. No problems so far. It's starting to be quite a chore though.
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

I have always just left mine closed. I never really thought about it.

But, I honestly just can't see that really making much difference.

Is more air circulation necessarily a good thing, anyway? If firearms are in a safe, room, or any environment where you have some dessicant or heaters to dry the air, what if that air circulates out and more humid air comes in?

JMO
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I think it is far more important to just keep the guns in a climate controlled space. I live in a place where sky high humidity and temperatures rule for nine months a year and I don't have any issues with rust on my firearms. I keep the temp and the humidity fairly stable in my house year round.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I leave the bolt open on the rifles stored in my safes, but only because they fit better that way. On the racks I store them bolt closed.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Anything I am not using is in cosmoline so moisture is not an issue.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Anything I am not using is in cosmoline so moisture is not an issue.
Most people ask this question in relation to whether it is good to leave them cocked or not on the firing pin spring. Myself I look at this like a chicken crossing the road subject. it really makes little or no difference in my eyes. Most rifles in safes store easier with the bolt open and also exit the safe easier too that way. Then in my one 100 gun safe it makes little difference trying to get something out of the back row is a problem no matter how you store them! Bill :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Getting what you need out of that safe need be no problem at all Bill. Just put out the word with the members here that you need help cleaning out the safe, I am sure you will find enthusiastic volunteers willing to help. They will show up, dive right in there and haul away anything inconveniencing you, and that's the last you will see of any of it. :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Getting what you need out of that safe need be no problem at all Bill. Just put out the word with the members here that you need help cleaning out the safe, I am sure you will find enthusiastic volunteers willing to help. They will show up, dive right in there and haul away anything inconveniencing you, and that's the last you will see of any of it. :)
:pointup:
Sounds like a good plan
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

I put the bolt in pull the trigger and gently close the bolt. no springs under tension.
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Getting what you need out of that safe need be no problem at all Bill. Just put out the word with the members here that you need help cleaning out the safe, I am sure you will find enthusiastic volunteers willing to help. They will show up, dive right in there and haul away anything inconveniencing you, and that's the last you will see of any of it. :)

That's what I get called for, but the only thing is I take it out, can drool on it, fondle it, but I have to put it back :vsad:
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Track lessons Joe, learn to run faster :)
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Bill
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

DAT' s RITE ....I's be on da way..........Hoo-Ray
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Most collectors will tell you it is not how long the spring is under tension or not under tension that weakens a spring. It is the number of "cycles" it has gone through.

I have flintlocks that have been under pressure now since 1763 (some earlier). They still function just fine. Use is what wears them out.

You could make a case that closing the bolt on the chamber perhaps keeps some moisture or dirt out of the barrel, but it would only take one patch down the bore to clean any of that out. I think it is just a case of what you want to do. Be practical like Bill is.......if the rifle comes out of the safe easier with the bolt open, it will probably do less damage and that would be a lot more important then any thing that could come from the bolt open or closed.

Do your "thing"!!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

dolk wrote:Most collectors will tell you it is not how long the spring is under tension or not under tension that weakens a spring. It is the number of "cycles" it has gone through.

I have flintlocks that have been under pressure now since 1763 (some earlier). They still function just fine. Use is what wears them out.

You could make a case that closing the bolt on the chamber perhaps keeps some moisture or dirt out of the barrel, but it would only take one patch down the bore to clean any of that out. I think it is just a case of what you want to do. Be practical like Bill is.......if the rifle comes out of the safe easier with the bolt open, it will probably do less damage and that would be a lot more important then any thing that could come from the bolt open or closed.

Do your "thing"!!

Amen! And well spoken! Bill :wink:
Dane

Post by Dane »

I store bolt open for two reasons.
1.) they fit in the safe better.
2.) the public range I go to insists on actions being open, for safety reasons, when you walk in.

If I just always keep bolts open as a rule I never have to worry about reason #2, air circulation would just be a bonus.
I have also thought about just removing all the bolts and keeping them wrapped is rags and in an ammo can in the ammo safe for security reasons. Rather than buy a bigger gun safe I just bought a second one so the other one is the ammo safe.
"But there is nothing like wood and iron combined with age." guido66 Mar 12, 2015
joelvca

Post by joelvca »

One option no-one has mentioned yet is bolt open with the striker let down (i.e. pull the cocking piece back and rotate it counterclockwise ~1/4 turn, like when you disassemble the bolt), so there is minimum striker spring compression. Because the bolt is held in alignment by the receiver, it doesn't come apart like it would if it were out of the rifle. You still have to pull-back-and-turn to recock it (like in bolt reassembly) before you can close the bolt.

Regards,
Joel
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

joelvca wrote:One option no-one has mentioned yet is bolt open with the striker let down (i.e. pull the cocking piece back and rotate it counterclockwise ~1/4 turn, like when you disassemble the bolt), so there is minimum striker spring compression. Because the bolt is held in alignment by the receiver, it doesn't come apart like it would if it were out of the rifle. You still have to pull-back-and-turn to recock it (like in bolt reassembly) before you can close the bolt.

Regards,
Joel
dolk wrote:Most collectors will tell you it is not how long the spring is under tension or not under tension that weakens a spring. It is the number of "cycles" it has gone through.

Do your "thing"!!