M39 Review...........Post Your m39's We have some new one's on the forums!!!

Post your model specific Mosin here!
coondawg

Re: Time for a review? M39's first....Post Your m39's

Post by coondawg »

Nice rifles guy's. It's hard to beat a M39. Here is the only one I have.
Lee-online

Re: M39 Review...........Post Your m39's We have some new one's on the forums!!!

Post by Lee-online »

I only have a couple of m39s but I really love the ones I have and they are all great shooters, well the 68 is new and I haven't shot it yet.

1943 SK.Y in a straight stock.

1941 Sako straight stock.

1943 Sako.

1941 VKT.

1968 m39.
Kollaa kestää
aussimmo2015

Re: M39 Review...........Post Your m39's We have some new one's on the forums!!!

Post by aussimmo2015 »

If I keep looking at these I will end up parting with more cash, using space in my safe I dont have...

They look amazing everyone. Beautiful examples of a timeless rifle!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Finally gotten around to posting my 1942 Sako with wartime stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Dang I forgot about the B barrel.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Seeing the "hang-tag" up there reminds me of when I felt I was snookered by Burns. I had a hard time choosing between two rifles, so I picked up the one with the "hang-tag." The rifle was great, but the hang-tag was blank....no entries, no stamps, no writing. Oh well...
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
351mustang65

Post by 351mustang65 »

SA1911a1 wrote:Seeing the "hang-tag" up there reminds me of when I felt I was snookered by Burns. I had a hard time choosing between two rifles, so I picked up the one with the "hang-tag." The rifle was great, but the hang-tag was blank....no entries, no stamps, no writing. Oh well...
Oh I know that feeling all to well...

From classic. Unissued B barrel.
ImageImage
HexEx

Post by HexEx »

Here are my two Sako M39s. One is a 1942 and the other is a 1943.
39-1.jpg
42sako39-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

:vcool: :vcool: Those are good looking rifles HexEx, Congrats :vcool: :vcool: The flame in that one is outstanding.
MosinNagant1954

Post by MosinNagant1954 »

Hi Dolk,

Your "41" PL, is the bolt blued? Or is it just the way the light is hitting it?

Rog
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

MosinNagant1954 wrote:Hi Dolk,

Your "41" PL, is the bolt blued? Or is it just the way the light is hitting it?

Rog
Just the light. I don't have any blued bolt Finns.

Dolk
escobert

Post by escobert »

Hi guys! Got my first Mosin today. Not as pretty as some of yours but it'll do :p Sorry for the crappy pics, dark day and lighting in the living room is terrbile. It's a 1942 VKT with 1907 Izhevsk Bow and Arrow tang, Tula star on the bolt, Izhevsk Bow and Arrow on the cocking knob and HV on mag body. All Finn numbers match. She's a little dinged up and mos of the blueing on the parts that are showing is gone but I'm very happy with it. No cracked stock or anything like that which was my biggest worry. Rifling and bore are nice and smooth and look great.

1942 VKT M39
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

escobert wrote:Hi guys! Got my first Mosin today. Not as pretty as some of yours but it'll do :p Sorry for the crappy pics, dark day and lighting in the living room is terrbile. It's a 1942 VKT with 1907 Izhevsk Bow and Arrow tang, Tula star on the bolt, Izhevsk Bow and Arrow on the cocking knob and HV on mag body. All Finn numbers match. She's a little dinged up and mos of the blueing on the parts that are showing is gone but I'm very happy with it. No cracked stock or anything like that which was my biggest worry. Rifling and bore are nice and smooth and look great.
Pretty is always in the eye of the beholder! They don't have to be all shinny and re-blued to be beautiful! VKT M27 Sweet rifle!!!!

Dolk
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Wow Neal45, I am speechless.
escobert

Post by escobert »

dolk wrote:
escobert wrote:Hi guys! Got my first Mosin today. Not as pretty as some of yours but it'll do :p Sorry for the crappy pics, dark day and lighting in the living room is terrbile. It's a 1942 VKT with 1907 Izhevsk Bow and Arrow tang, Tula star on the bolt, Izhevsk Bow and Arrow on the cocking knob and HV on mag body. All Finn numbers match. She's a little dinged up and mos of the blueing on the parts that are showing is gone but I'm very happy with it. No cracked stock or anything like that which was my biggest worry. Rifling and bore are nice and smooth and look great.
Pretty is always in the eye of the beholder! They don't have to be all shinny and re-blued to be beautiful! VKT M27 Sweet rifle!!!!

Dolk

Very true! I was pretty sure I would end up with a post war stock but I had my fingers crossed it would have some nice graining in it. I'm just happy it's not cracked or too beat up. I actually prefer the worn blueing look. As long as it's a decent shooter I'll be pleased.

Oh and due you mean it was a M27 in it's previous life? So far the only non Izhevsk/Finn marks I've seen are one Tula star on the base of the bolt handle.
1942 VKT M39
MadisonAV

Post by MadisonAV »

So what am I doing posting these two beat up M-39s in with all these beautiful firearms? The devil in me wanted to remind everyone why the M-39 was made. It certainly wasn't made to show off unissued examples in glass collector gun cabinets. Now, don't take this as criticism. I have a number of unissued M-39s myself, complete with hang tags.

Let me take you back to the Winter War and Continuation War with Russia. Finland is still struggling getting M-27s out the door. Rifles are in short supply at the front. The hardware for the M-39 is in inventory. But the tooling for the pistol grip stock isn't in place. So Finland produces 7,000 straight stocks. 6,200 are put on M-39s which were immediately sent to the front. By the time No 6200 is ready to go, pistol grip stock production has ramped up and Sako switches over, putting the last 800 straight stocks in storage.

The Sako numbering sequence for the m-39 started at 200,000. The top rifle in the photo is serial number 204,125, about 2/3 of the way through straight stock production.

I'm certain this rifle's equipment is 'as issued' but certainly is not in 'as issued' condition. The almost absent bluing and the dinged up stock attest to its use in combat. The most important numbers match - barrel, receiver & bolt.

And while the stock is not a numerical match (stocks weren't numbered), the serial numbers land it in the series of straight stock Sakos.

The second M-39 in the photo is earlier in the series, no 202925, a little under half way into the series. It is also almost out of bluing and has plenty of dings in its stock.

The serial numbers on this rifle also match, so it is also 'as issued'.

By the way if there is any lingering question in your mind as to whether these rifles were actually used in combat, check out this photo of the the bottom of the front of the stock.

I'll guarantee you those notches weren't put there by the stock manufacturer! There was a program to upgrade these rifles to pistol grip stocks when they were turned in damaged so there aren't many original Sako 1941 straight stock M-39s out there. You would have to be pretty insensitive to Finnish military history to throw away this stock.

The remaining 800 straight stocks were used post war and have shown up on firearms in unissued condition. Would I trade one of these two straight stock M-39s for one of those in unissued condition. Not on your life!
MN#1 - Finnish M39 - 1941 - More when it arrives ...
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

escobert wrote:
dolk wrote:

Dolk

Very true! I was pretty sure I would end up with a post war stock but I had my fingers crossed it would have some nice graining in it. I'm just happy it's not cracked or too beat up. I actually prefer the worn blueing look. As long as it's a decent shooter I'll be pleased.

Oh and due you mean it was a M27 in it's previous life? So far the only non Izhevsk/Finn marks I've seen are one Tula star on the base of the bolt handle.
I'm sorry. I am just having a stroke or something!!!!! I thought I was on the M27 thread!!!....Never mind! :chuckles:
escobert

Post by escobert »

dolk wrote:
escobert wrote:
dolk wrote:

Dolk

I'm sorry. I am just having a stroke or something!!!!! I thought I was on the M27 thread!!!....Never mind! :chuckles:
haha It's all good. I was wondering :p
1942 VKT M39
admiralackbar86

Post by admiralackbar86 »

New to the forums, figured i would show off my 1944 VKT M39, and Finn Capture 91/30.