M39 Shooting high

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Shelbygt500

M39 Shooting high

Post by Shelbygt500 »

I took one of my new M39s to the range yesterday and it was shooting about 4-5 inches high maybe a little more. Has anyone else encountered this? I read some things on how to fix it from shimming the back sight to replacing the front sight to putting paint on the front sight to add height. I don't want to alter the rifle so is there anyway to fix it without doing so.

Thanks
zeebill

Re: M39 Shooting high

Post by zeebill »

Different ammo will effect that and also what is the number stamped in the top of the blade of the front sight? Does it match the one stamped in the top of the barrel behind the front sight? A lot of them need higher front sight blades which are available on Fleabay and other places. Bill
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

What distance were you shooting at? These were meant to engage targets at 300 yards at out so they tend to shoot high at anything less than 300 yards, and as zeebill stated, bullet weight can also play a role.

I've had to get taller front sight blades to offset the point of impact. I'm not going to hold a foot low just to hit the target when a taller blade can correct my point of aim. They're easily had on Ebay and are worth the money. Get the tallest blade you can find so you can file it down if need be.
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Crap sorry I new I forgot something. It was high at both 50 and 100 yards. I was shooting the Herter's 180 grain select grade. I was gonna get the front blades I just wanted to make sure it's not gonna mess up the value or anything. Also I don't see a number on the front blade where are they usually located?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

50 and 100 yards? The equivalent would be using a Ferrari on a straightaway and only going 20 mph. These .30 military rifles were meant to shoot at distance, 200-300-400-500 yards or farther. Most of us can't even see past 50 yards, but then most of us aren't the eagle eyed 18 year old soldier these rifles were intended for, at least not anymore. Aim for the belt to hit the chest, in other words use a six O'clock hold on the target to compensate for the short distance.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Yeah there's no way I could shoot at those distances I could barely see 100..lol I'd love to try but here in KS they ain't got crap for gun ranges with long distances. Which makes no sense but hey.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not a whole lot of long ranges on most of the battlefields either, something that brought about the smaller rounds used in the AK47 and M16 once the geniuses in charge finally figured that one.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The numbers should be on the top edge of the sight blade and they are small. Look for them there and then look immediately back along the barrel top and close by for the number on the barrel. That barrel number should be what the rifle was fitted with at the armory. If those numbers are different then at sometime a sight height blade change was made. When? Your guess is as good as mine. Getting as high a replacement sight blade as you can find and then filing it to the right size is a nice idea for a shooter but if I am a collector I am going to look at a filed sight rifle with a jaundiced eye so keep that in mind too. My thought there is ok you filed the sight I wonder what else you screwed around with? If the blade is changed I have no idea when or who did the changing and I can swallow that with little pain. Bill :wink:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You could also just replace the original sight if you do decide to sell it if in fact you do file down a taller one.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
aussimmo2015

Post by aussimmo2015 »

I found the same the thing in that the M39 I have does indeed shoot high at 100m.

I was trying out some handloads just the other day and found it easier to test it at 200m than 100m. At 100m I was aiming at the base of a 1ft target to get bullets landing in the Bulls eye/ 9&10 rings. So a significant difference in POI to aim point at the shorter ranges is what I have found
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

I found the numbers. one is a 7.6 and the others a 7.8. I don't know if I want to change the front sight. Don't really want to change anything on these rifles. I might change one Idk. Gotta shoot the other one. I assuming it'll be the same as well. Not like I'll be shooting them every day. At least I know the reason why they shoot high. I appreciate fellas.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I have a Swedish Mauser that is consistently 8 inches high at 100yds/meters. It doesn't take long to figure out how low to hold it at closer distances. The reason I am glad I did not mess with it, is because I had the opportunity to go shooting at long range (300-1200 yds), with some R&D fellows from Remington Arms. While they were nailing the 1000 yd gong with their .338 Lapua's and their totally sweet .308s, and .300 Win Mags, I was knocking the hell out of the 300 yd target that no one could really even see without their rifle mounted Hubble telescopes. Every one of those fellows had to shoot that guys 'Olds Ass Gun" , before the day was over. I don't think I would have traded that old Mauser for any gun they had there that day. ..... Yes I would have. Who am I kidding? :lol:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Man I wish we had a place like that here. There is one place but it's a exclusive club that's impossible to get into. I'd like to try and shoot at 300 + yards.