Steyr M95 carbine

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Jbob

Steyr M95 carbine

Post by Jbob »

Not sure if I posted this one before or not. Bought it and the ammo from a good friend a few years back for $100.oo
I've shot it several times and I do believe the recoil and sound will beat any Mosin carbine out there. :o
All numbers match even the stock. Beat and banged some but over all a pretty neat rifle.
I see now that it has the much need recoil lug bolt in the stock. Would this have been done later during a referb or did they build it that way ?
redspoon

Re: Steyr M95 carbine

Post by redspoon »

Not sure about the crossbolt question, but I have a couple of these. A Steyr and a Budapest marked, and yes I agree they thump a little harder than the Mosin carbines. Not sure what they run these days, both of mine were under a $100. Nice score with all the ammo. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

redspoon wrote:Not sure about the crossbolt question, but I have a couple of these. A Steyr and a Budapest marked, and yes I agree they thump a little harder than the Mosin carbines. Not sure what they run these days, both of mine were under a $100. Nice score with all the ammo. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I saw 2 of them at Cabelas back in the early summer and they'd been there for a long time. I also watched the price go up until this Fall they were at $325 each. :shock: To my surprise one of them was gone when I stopped by there last month so someone paid big bucks for that rifle. What little our local Cabelas has in the military line is priced out of sight. I haven't been by lately to see if they're flooded with 91/30's like others are seeing.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

You do realize that the ammo you have there is worth close to what the entire rifle is worth?? :chuckles:

That ammo is hard to come buy and new ammo is hard to stomach the price on it. One really needs to reload if you want to shoot this rifle a lot. One of the most fun rifles to fire but, be ready for a punch. It's no slouch.

Nice one! 8-) 8-) 8-)

As far as the cross bolt, or recoil bolt....I don't know either. There is not a lot know about these rifles. Not like most WWII rifle any way.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Man that is a nice 95. It looks like it has a 19 date under the S? That is very late and supposed to be past the last date of original run. Could be made from parts. Maybe post a better foto of the mark under the S. Also this is a Czech used and marked rifle which makes it even cooler. Post up a closer foto of the mark on the right side of the receiver. I have not seen too many with the Czech acceptance like this. What a great buy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Heck of a deal. I saw this ammo for $10 a box at a gun show about a year ago. I had nothing that would shoot it, but I grabbed a box for the heck of it. Now I've seen it where it's not cheap. Should have bought the lot from the lady. Nice carbine. :thumbsup:
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Heck of a deal!! If you carefully take the ammo out of the box and remove the cartridgesfrom the clip, you might see different dates in the same clip and box. I bought a whole case years back and that's what I found. There we're pre-Nazi and during-Nazi head stamps all mixed up. I don't shoot the stuff. I have new reloadable brass and my friend has a set of dies and a Lee bullet mould, so we are set.

The little carbines really roar and belch flame. I have two or three that were rebarreled to 8x57. They also roar with surplus ammo. As you are likely aware, do not single load, as the extractors are prone to breaking with this method, and parts are hard to come by.

If you have to load a single round, make up four dummies from fired casings and maybe poor bullets, and just load the round to be fired last in a stripper clip.

Edit:. I'm not sure, but this business of single loading may only apply to the Yugo 8x57 conversions.
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
gregsteb

Post by gregsteb »

I own alot of milsurp rifles and the little M95 is definately one of my favorites. A blast to shoot and the straight pull is very unique. It's also cool to pull out a 100 year old rifle that looks like it was built yesterday. 1917 models definately dominate the market by far. I have a 1914, 1916, and a bunch of 1917 models.
The M95 bayonet is really cool also.
rick54R

Post by rick54R »

I have the opportunity to purchase one for $200.00
But, I have been told the ammo is hard to come by and very much denairo........ :cry:
But I do like the look of that carbine.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Personaly I would not let the ammo thing stop you. You can find it if you look but prices will vary for sure. You never know where or how much. Surplus is around still for this rifle and 200 is not too bad for them.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
rick54R

Post by rick54R »

[quote="desdem12"]Personaly I would not let the ammo thing stop you. You can find it if you look but prices will vary for sure. You never know where or how much. Surplus is around still for this rifle and 200 is not too bad for them.[/quote
Yea, after studying this most excellent example,
pretty sure this will be purchased.
Thanks for you advice.
Rick
evildog

Post by evildog »

I got 8 of these awesome little rifles and they are a blast. If you do load one round at a time for whatever reason just make sure you slide it up under the extractor on the bolt. There is not a lot of play there and it is how folks can break it by loading a round in the barrel and then slamming the bolt closed on it and the extractor has to go out around the rim cartridge. Or just load up 5 at a time in the e-clip problem solved......

You can buy current production of this ammo and then of course reload it how you want to get the best out of the rifle.....Great buy by the way!!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I've have one I picked up in 2013 for around $200.00, mine has the Wn “Eagle’ 18 over stamped with Hv “Eagle” 32. We have a local store that still has some mil-surp ammo for it, last time I bought some from him it was around $15.00 a box. I've got one box of Nazi marked ammo, and several boxes of Austrian/Hungarian (?) marked ammo.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sounds like a nice one. Sometimes the rebuilds have a second acceptance date with the funky chicken eagle :lol: