New Finn Mosin Nagant, please help ID

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jwaller5

New Finn Mosin Nagant, please help ID

Post by jwaller5 »

Hello, picked up my 2nd Finn and 3rd Mosin Nagant today at a local gun show. What can you tell me about it from Pics? Anywhere else I should look on it for marks? I thought I got a great deal. The dealer I don't think understood it was not just any old Mosin Nagant. I thought it was a M39, which is what I was looking for, but after getting it home and consulting the guides, it looks like it is a M91.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Finn Mosin Nagant, please help ID

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's a Finn rebuilt M91 done by VKT in 1942. I have some of these and the barrels used were of exceptional quality, you will need a cleaning rod to complete the package.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jwaller5

Post by jwaller5 »

I looked under the metal butt plate and it had "916". Any idea what that means? Neither of my other two had anything there.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

jwaller5 wrote:I looked under the metal butt plate and it had "916". Any idea what that means? Neither of my other two had anything there.
Depends, you need to take the action and barrel out of the stock and see if there is a ny numbers stamped on the underside of the tang. 916 could mean 1916, the date the receiver was made.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

1916 is the date the stock was made. Some Russian stocks had the date stamped there.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I too believe the 916 is the date the stock was made. I have a m91 with the 3 numbers under butt plate.

Nice example of an older Finn Mosin.
Kollaa kestää
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Nice rifle. Imperial eagle stamp as well. Great find. Gotta get me a M91
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Indeed a nice find and as JYD said most of these are excellent shooters! 916 indeed is the year the Russians turned out the stock. You might see a partial stamping of a crown also under there. If my old memory is on track today I think that is a Tula marking but I am half asleep today so I could be wrong? Congrats! Around here that is a $300 rifle even minus the $60 cleaning rod if you can find it. Bill :D
jwaller5

Post by jwaller5 »

Thanks all. I got this one for $250. Thanks for the knowledge.