Empty Mosin Crates

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RE: Re: Empty Mosin Crates

Post by bunkysdad »

gregsteb wrote:
bunkysdad wrote:I married a nymphomaniac super model, but I have never peeked under her dress. Oh I will someday, but I am waiting till I can no longer stand the temptation. Yeah, right. Let me up. None of are guaranteed to live till some day. This whole idea don't even make sense to me.

Trust me I'd love to peak under that dress, but circumstances have made it difficult. I took the crate as a partial trade for an ATV. The reason I was selling the ATV was because I was in the process of moving 150 miles. The crate went onto a shelf in my shop, in the town I was living in at the time, along with a ton of other items. My wife and I were recent empty nesters and downsizing. The balance of the shop is leased and the section I'm using is heated, secure, and full of items I need to either liquidate or transport to my new residence. It just hasn't made sense to pay for storage in my new town, when this is free storage. It's a project for next summer.
Hey I too am a recent empty nester, but one little stubborn bird came back. It was nice to hear him finally say the words "dad you were right". :)
Well when you do get the time next year to open them for inspection I look forward to seeing them.
gregsteb

Re: RE: Re: Empty Mosin Crates

Post by gregsteb »

bunkysdad wrote:
gregsteb wrote:
bunkysdad wrote:I married a nymphomaniac super model, but I have never peeked under her dress. Oh I will someday, but I am waiting till I can no longer stand the temptation. Yeah, right. Let me up. None of are guaranteed to live till some day. This whole idea don't even make sense to me.

Trust me I'd love to peak under that dress, but circumstances have made it difficult. I took the crate as a partial trade for an ATV. The reason I was selling the ATV was because I was in the process of moving 150 miles. The crate went onto a shelf in my shop, in the town I was living in at the time, along with a ton of other items. My wife and I were recent empty nesters and downsizing. The balance of the shop is leased and the section I'm using is heated, secure, and full of items I need to either liquidate or transport to my new residence. It just hasn't made sense to pay for storage in my new town, when this is free storage. It's a project for next summer.
Hey I too am a recent empty nester, but one little stubborn bird came back. It was nice to hear him finally say the words "dad you were right". :)
Well when you do get the time next year to open them for inspection I look forward to seeing them.

I think the old saying went something like this. When I was 20 years old, I couldn't believe how dumb my dad was, by the time I turned 30 I couldn't believe how much he had learned in 10 years.
gregsteb

Re: Empty Mosin Crates

Post by gregsteb »

When I say I had a ton of stuff I packed away, that I need to sort and liquidate, I was underestimating. We went from a 5 bedroom farmhouse with 9 large out buildings and 30 years of accumalated stuff, to a 3 bedroom split entry with a single 20x24 garage and an 8' shed. That's the definition of trying to fit 20 pounds of shit in a 2 pound bag. It doesn't help that it's 150 mile drive each way to sort and haul.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have a similar problem. Once I had six sheds, trailers, and vans full of shit, then along came Hurricane Sandy and off came the roofs, or down came the sheds. I filled dumpster after dumpster with ruined books and other things. I cleaned out a barn that hadn't been used in 70 years, we just put a new roof on every 30 years and left the inside alone. Months of cleaning and I had a large building to consolidate all the remaining shit. The barn is full, this despite two years of intensive selling on eBay that continues even now . 30 years of collecting anything gun or ammo, antique Victrola phonographs and everything from old bottles to lanterns. I don't sell guns, not yet, no ammo either, but everything else is for sale. I sold a riding lawn mower last week that had been decorating one shed since 1987, and they actually paid me for it with real money, I picked it out of the trash way back when for nothing. Cameras, records, bottles, parts from every car I have owned, and I have owned a lot of cars. I have stopped being amazed at what people will pay me money for, sounds like you need to go down that road also.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

When ever I see a post on mosin crates I smile or begin laughing. For years I did the distributer a favor taking as many as my truck would carry home as a favor to him. Then some idiot offered him money for one and all the firewood I burned in my potbelly that heated the shop went away and I had to stop at the pallet shops for wood. It was still free wood but it always seemed to stink worse and give less heat that those old Mosin crates! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bill
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

A few years ago I bought two rifle crate for $10.00 each and 10 ammo boxes for a buck apiece from Aim. I found out later that SOG was putting them out on the curb and they disappeared. Now neither have any.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Mosin crates date from the late 1940's to the 1970's and undoubtedly contain lead paint. Burning them exposes the user to lead in the smoke, and the ashes, not a good thing.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have one rifle I have never looked at, the No4 MKII Enfield that is new in the arsenal wrap from 1955. The importer opened a 1" square to get in and import mark it, other than that it hasn't been out of that wrap . It's only still in there because it's worth more money that way, and I have many other Enfields to play with.
But I thought you were being buried with your guns? Value doesn't mean much then :lol:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Here is a spy photo of JYD in his barn, maybe he has a spare crate. :pointdown:

Kollaa kestää
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am being buried with my favorites, others I bought to sell years later at huge profit. Aim's supply from back in the old days, I remember that picture. Probably much reduced now.
Theodore Roosevelt
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

I found one for 140 for sale in my area. Should I buy it. Do they have any value? I want one to keep my guns in one for sure just don't know if I want it $140 bad..lol
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The Mosin crates date from the late 1940's to the 1970's and undoubtedly contain lead paint. Burning them exposes the user to lead in the smoke, and the ashes, not a good thing.
:lol:
Is that what did it? :lol: Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Too late for you Bill, age and decades of 'shine got to the little gray cells first :chuckles: , but for the kids reading this who have a pile of Mosin crates to burn, they better be careful. You should have used the boards to build a nice shed or something, called it the Mosin shack.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Too late for you Bill, age and decades of 'shine got to the little gray cells first :chuckles: , but for the kids reading this who have a pile of Mosin crates to burn, they better be careful. You should have used the boards to build a nice shed or something, called it the Mosin shack.
I ate at the Crab Shack in Murrels Inlet over the holidays, that is as close as I have come to shacks lately though. $130 worth of seafood sure tastes good to an old flatlander stuck in the mountains though! She crab soup was good! Forgot how to open an oyster believe it or not but the waitress opened them all for me. She said something about not liken the sight of blood? Bill :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

$130 tab sounds like the sort of fancy joint were I have to put on a jacket and tie, and socks that match. I try to avoid that whenever possible and keep it to the local diner. I do occasionally frequent a higher class joint, but it's steak I am after, Filet Mignon cooked wrapped in bacon served with asparagus and baked potato followed by cake who's name I forget but it's chocolate inside, outside, and uses up my sugar allowance for the month. Used to be I could follow a meal like that with a fine cigar, but now I would have to do it outside.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Last night I was at Krogers to get some goodies and in the fish department I saw they had oysters in jars. I bought 2 jars = 12+, I love these deep fried in vegetable oil coated with flour, corn meal, corn flakes and LC's special spices. Served with fried potatoes. If you listen carefully you can hear your arteries hardening.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Shelbygt500 wrote:I found one for 140 for sale in my area. Should I buy it. Do they have any value? I want one to keep my guns in one for sure just don't know if I want it $140 bad..lol
Depends how much you want it. I guess it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I personally would use the $140 towards another gun purchase.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I had an extra crate that was damaged and I still got almost that much for it. The guy who bought it wanted it for a set of lights he used for illuminating photographic subjects. I guess they were expensive and needed heavy protection.
Theodore Roosevelt
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

Lee-online wrote:They are hard to find now.
I ended up finding a shipping crate at work that was aprox the right size, I am using that, a couple mosin crates and a safe. I just had a plywood box made to store my m44s in because they don't fit in with the other mosins. It is functional but I need to finish it with padding on rifle supports.

You could pretty easily make one that looks like a soviet crate and paint it green. They are very basic.

I would love to do something like that but I only have 3 right now and the wife might get upset, BTW what are the dimensions on the crate and the racks?
rogerssteve

Post by rogerssteve »

There is a store in Magnolia, Arkansas that has one crate. Steve's Outdoor Sports. I would check the distance to drive there because you will not want to pay freight to have one shipped!! :big shock: