M91/49 & M19/38

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jackleg

M91/49 & M19/38

Post by jackleg »

I had some extra cash and was out looking for a M44 when I came across these two not m44s at the local pawn shop.
I wasn't really sure what they were. They are labeled "M9149" for $200 and "M1938" for $250. I could not find any for sale on the auction sites to place a value on them (and don't have the C&R license to mess with all that anyway). I figured they must be worth al least what the 91/30s are going for. I tried to price haggle, but was told that he only had 1/2 as many guns as usual because everyone is buying and not selling right now. He offered to cover the sales tax- basically a 6% discount. Not being able to decide which one to buy, I clearly had no choice but to get both! Don't know if it was a good deal or not, but I happy with them- too late now anyway...
They came with accessories and an old beat up 2 rifle case.
Both are 1942r with what looks like "normal" Soviet stamps. All the numbers match without any electro engraving or stakeouts. The 38 has been counter bored and is clean. The 49 is all goobed up with cosmoline but looks like it'll clean up nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racerguy00

Re: M91/49 & M19/38

Post by racerguy00 »

M38 and a 91/59. The 91/59 was made from a cut-down 91/30, and have been selling for well over $300 lately. In fact, it's hard to find an m38 for under $300 too. You.did really well.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good deal, both of these are older imports that are not commonly seen on gunstore shelves anymore. It's dangerous to buy without knowing what you are buying, or in what price range they trade for, but this time you did OK.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Two very nice carbines and had at especially good prices. Congrats :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

You did real good. Congrats
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

OK, M38 and 91/59. Thanks for the proper model ID. I was really torn trying to pick one. they only allow 1 off the rack at a time and I diddnt see a whole lot of difference between them other than the color. Now at home and side by side the differences stand out.
I was sceptical about not knowing for sure the value and actually left Parrot's to "think about it"
I figured these 2 are right here right now and may not be tomorrow. No sense in loosing sleep over it so back I went and the deal was done.
What is the correct sling style for these?
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Much easier to search information with the correct model designations, huh? Good job going with your gut. Both were priced very fairly.

A standard M91/30 canvas sling with leather dog collars will fill the sling need. There are shorter carbine slings, but are very hard to identify at a glance.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What are they worried about? You might grab two rifles and run? In my friends shop back in the 90's if you wanted to see five rifles it was no problem. He knew his customers habits and many of them including myself were gun hoarders who liked to buy in multiples. I remember one Christmas buying five rifles at once, well, four rifles and one shotgun.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wow, your gut said don't wait and sometimes people kick themselves later for not making the deal, but you listened and won out bigtime. 600.00 for the pair would have been fair and North of that would be expected. I am especially fond of the 91/59 with the specially modified rear sight of a 91/30
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

Yeah its sometimes a tough call. One thing for sure, I'd get over spending a little too much way before I would have gotten over missing out entirely. You snooze, you loose!
I don't know what the thing was with only 1 gun out at a time.- the man is pretty much no-non sense. I'm sure he deals with all sorts of goof balls during his day.
Please explain the "dog collar" sling. The accessory bags that came with them only had 1 sling, so I was looking for another and found 2 different styles. #1 is what came with it and the 91/30 that I already have. #2 is described as the carbine sling? -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No2 is a PPSH sub machine gun sling, but they were widely used for carbine slings during the war. Any sling that could fit a Mosin was used during the war. Sling one is the typical dog collar sling , there is a version that was made slightly shorter for carbine use but these are mixed in with thousands of other slings and mostly show up by chance.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have one of each of those, with the PPSH sling being my favorite for no particular reason than I think it is cool and I have several rifles with the dog collars. Since most often the longer 91/30 dog collar slings are encountered it is normal to just adjust up the slack to your liking. Ebay has lots of slings all the time and you can find some cool slings to add your personal favorite touch.
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

Got them looked over and cleaned up. Both seem nice on the insides. Of course just like everything else in life there are a couple of issues.
The outside of the M38 metal has a few very small pits here and there and feels rougher and has more of a matt or flat finish than the M91/59. Its like the it was refinished at some time. The import stamp is shiny so it must have been done before the import. Maybe that's how it was made? I can only compare it to the 91/30 and 91/59 that I have. Both of these have a smooth shine to them.
The 91/59 is absolutely perfect except for the quarter sized patch of rust that is on the bottom of the barrel (sigh..)
The rust cleaned up and I think it will be OK. I haven't got to fire them yet.
Picked up a sling for the M91/59. Thanks for all your comments and help!
Still keeping an eye out for a M44- a friend has one that he said he'd sell. I went to look at it and man, that thing was cool, it has the zig zag stock repair and a hand guard patch. Then he says "this is the first gun that me and my dad bought together" and I could tell he was having second thoughts so I backed off and just left it to please let me know when you want to part with it"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice deal. Both always works
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Good deal on both rifles. The 91/59 rifles at notorious great shooters.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!