Proper tool fit when disassembling your Mosin

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Proper tool fit when disassembling your Mosin

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Try Liberty Tree collectors, if they don't have it them ebay or Gunbroker should have something up for auction.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

thorsbeans wrote:I had this happen when I bought my Mosin. I had to force the chewed up screws out and now I can't find replacement screws.
Which screws? If you mean the trigger guard screws, try Liberty tree
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I have owned a car,truck ,motorcycle and machine shop since retiring from the Air Force in 1970. During those years I have spent thousands of $$$ on various regular and specialty tools, from MAC,Cornwell ,Snap-On,Craftsman .Cobalt,etc.Why so many some ask? Well, lately many of the tool companies are mfg.specialty multipurpose tools that cover many applications. But the #1 reason is nothing beats a new, fresh,tool . I always turn in a tool for a new replacement when it shows excessive wear.This policy has saved my shop many $$$ headaches when working on difficult to replace parts.Guns and accessories also.Yes,proper tool fit is most important :2cents: JGC
A J

Post by A J »

I used to work in a factory where wind instruments were assembled by hand. Tiny slotted screws were the norm. One day the company's tool guy took me aside and showed me how to grind and fit screwdriver tips. I got good at it and would repair tips for my employees. The most important advice he gave me was to ensure a VERY tight fit. Sometimes the fit would be so tight that the tip of the screwdriver would be just a hair's width away from the slot. That, in his opinion, was the PERFECT fit.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

My wife was curious to learn how to clean guns last week... So I walked her thru a few including full dis-assembly. I showed her how to utilize the proper bit for the screw from my gunsmith driver set & she was also using my brass hammer & punch like a pro. She always wondered why I had so many tools on my cleaning bench; But now she knows, appreciates & actually enjoyed using them. :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Mike wrote:
musketjon wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Not just on guns, I run into buggered screws on everything from Victrolas to carburetors.
Cars still have carburetors??!!??
Jon
No, but real cars do. :D
I wish I could like a post but qft.
Oldvetteman

Post by Oldvetteman »

musketjon wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Not just on guns, I run into buggered screws on everything from Victrolas to carburetors.
Cars still have carburetors??!!??
Jon
You betcha! See my avatar. :pointright:
"To preserve and shoot"
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Do those still come with a hot chick?
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice Vette, one of my customers tells me today that his wife wants him to clean out the garage, he's had a disassembled 1958 Vette in there for 25 years, all the parts done, but he never got around to putting them all back together before the kids came along. Don't know what he wants for it yet, should be an interesting feeding frenzy once the local Vette guys find out about it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Jim did anything ever become of the 58 Vette?
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Just as important as the width, the correct type of screwdriver is of the utmost importance in keeping your screw slots as they should be. Most of your screwdrivers will have a "keystone" profile, basically a wedge that tapers down to the end. These blades don't contact the screw slot in it's entirety and put the pressure at the top of the slot. The more expensive "cabinet" profile blades that gunsmiths and jewelers use have the blade tip the exact same measurement for the entire depth of the blade that will contact the screw slot. I have both, and the cabinet profile are the ONLY ones that will ever touch a crucial slotted head screw. The keystone ones do make fine tools to pry off the lids on paint cans though... :2cents:
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

My first car was a '69 MGB roadster. It had a mixture of SAE, metric AND Whitworth. Talk about a head ache. But I loved that car.
Jon